walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Memorial plaques

Memorial plaques

Postby brian7530 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Does anyone on the site have any information on the memorial plaques being removed from the summit area from STOB DEARG,the plaques are a mark of respect and were out of sight of anyone unless you knew where to find them,any information would be much appretiated..many thanks
brian7530
Mountaineer

Munros:24   

Re: Memorial plaques

Postby GillC » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi,,,saw these two years ago when we met some members of the military on Stob Dearg, really hope you find out whats happened to them.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby brian7530 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks ..never knew it would have been a problem having them there
brian7530
Mountaineer

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:23 pm

brian7530 wrote:Thanks ..never knew it would have been a problem having them there

We had a plaque removed from Ben Ledi several years ago, even although we had permission from the Estate Managment. Hope you manage to get them reinstated.
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby orion » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:15 am

brian7530 wrote:Thanks ..never knew it would have been a problem having them there

I think you may find that the majority feeling sems to be against such things on the mountains.

http://www.mcofs.org.uk/memorials.asp
orion

Postby NickyRannoch » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:48 am

I predict this topic will get to about 10 pages.

Apologies if that sounds flippant as obviously the removal of a plaque that means something to you must be very distressing. However, it is an extremely divisive issue and many people certainly do have an issue with it.

I'm sure if you have a search on there is an old thread that will give you both sides of the debate.
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby brian7530 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:09 am

I appretiate the fact that folk have there own opinion on the matter however im not asking for a debate on the matter im only asking for information if the plaques have been removed and placed in a remembrance garden or such..what people choose to believe is there desition and i respect that
brian7530
Mountaineer

Postby orion » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:20 pm

brian7530 wrote:I appretiate the fact that folk have there own opinion on the matter however im not asking for a debate on the matter im only asking for information if the plaques have been removed and placed in a remembrance garden or such..what people choose to believe is there desition and i respect that

You could try contacting the National Trust in Glencoe.At a guess I reckon they would remove the plaque if they knew about it.
orion

Postby brian7530 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks
brian7530
Mountaineer

Postby malky_c » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:13 pm

...or post the question on the www.ukclimbing.com forum as well - plenty of climbers up there (I assume you mean the Buachaille Stob Dearg).

You will get a debate there though, whether you want one or not.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Is it likely that they might have been nicked for scrap value?
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby IamAJMiller » Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:58 pm

malky_c wrote:...or post the question on the www.ukclimbing.com forum....

You will get a debate there though, whether you want one or not.

Oh god yeah! That place is full of windup merchants and trolls! Much nicer here on WH! Hope you get the info you need, you seem to be going about it in a very respectful manner. :)
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:13 pm

Border Reiver wrote:Is it likely that they might have been nicked for scrap value?

Call me old fashioned, but I would be very VERY disappointed if the wonderful people that appreciate our beautiful country, also pinch sentimental items such as this purely for dosh. I don't have an issue with plaques, if 'authorities' choose to remove them however, surely they should make some effort to contact the holders to advise. Mutual respect all round.
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby DonnyW » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:49 pm

I wish no disrespect to family and friends of people who have passed on.. by my reply, but I would bet my bottom dollar that the National Trust employees will remove any memorials found on national trust property and will make no effort to contact anyone. I also suspect the materials used for the memorials are thrown in the rubbish bin. I dont think you realise just how many memorials are removed from Glencoe or other popular beauty spots GillC when you think they should try and contact the people who left them there ..but I suspect it runs into several hundreds every year. Who should pay for the cost of trying to contact the people who leave them ? And who would want to post discarded Urns full off ashes to the people who left them there ?

I took these two photos the last time I took a walk to the bothy near the Study in Glencoe. There are many more left there but fortunately (in my opinion) the NT remove them or it would quickly become like a rubbish tip within a few months. Are they really marks of respect to anyone who loved the countryside ?
Brian7530 , I apprecate you only left a plaque in a discrete place but where do the people who look after our countryside draw the line..if everyone left memorials as on our popular hills .. would we still enjoy our wilderness experience ?

I do not work for the National Trust and this post is only my opinion. I am not posting this reply to intentionally upset anyone..only to make people fully aware of the sheer number of memorials in Glencoe

memorial1.jpg

memorial2.jpg
DonnyW

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:16 pm

Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion