walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion - A Superb 40th Birthday Present

Schiehallion - A Superb 40th Birthday Present

Postby jupe1407 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:19 am

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 14/07/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 785m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My previous hare-brained scheme of reaching my 40th munro on my 40th birthday had been sensibly abandoned after a brief night out on Saturday. Somehow, getting up at 5am to do the Carn Mairg group of 4 munros to reach the 40 had lost it's appeal. So instead i decided to settle on doing a "special" mountain, Schiehallion. I had meant to climb it last year, but had dislocated my ankle the day before playing football.

So, a nice forecast, and not particularly bad hangover, and we set off at 9:30am for the Braes of Foss Car Park. We eventually abandoned the car almost halfway up a verge near the start of the walk as the car park was absolutely packed. Half of the civilised world it seemed wanted to climb Schiehallion. It's also worth pointing out that there were a pleasing lack of midges.

The views open up quite early on in the walk.

DSC_0002.jpg
Back towards Braes of Foss etc

DSC_0006.jpg
Dun Coillich? (not sure)

We carried on up the excellent path, unaware of being slowly sunburned due to the pleasant breeze. It really was a terrific day. There were a couple of minor stops for scran and photos.

DSC_0007.jpg
In the general direction of Loch Tay

DSC_0008.jpg
Beinn a'Ghlo Range

DSC_0013.jpg

The views all around were excellent. It should be noted that the path is absolutely superb, and we saw a group of kids with shovels, presumably volunteering with the John Muir Trust, working on the path. We weren't long in reaching the boulder field. It's actually quite enjoyable, as faint paths work their way through it, and we quite enjoyed the rock-hopping of the final stretch of the mountain. Views continued to be superb.

DSC_0016.jpg
Start of the bouldery section

DSC_0034.jpg
Back down to the car park

We reached the summit at about 1:30pm, just over two hours after setting off. The wind was pretty stiff, which if course continued to hide the fact that we were being slowly fried. Superb views from the summit were had across the the Lawers Range, Carn Mairg (was actually quite pleased i'd knocked that stupid idea on the head) and the Cairngorms. Unsurprisingly, the summit was busy, so lunch was demolished while the summit cleared a bit, and we could get some photos.

DSC_0041.jpg
Lawers Range

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg
My other half's summit pose

After a pleasant stop at the top we decided to get moving back down as we had a deadline to get back to Forfar for a meal at the Sultan (it's worth the mad dash). My other half also caught some sunstroke, at least that what she called it, describing the symptoms as feeling sick and a "bit pished". She must have been, she let me drive her car home. :lol:

An absolutely fantastic day, and a fine way to mark getting "over the hill" :lol:

One final shot, and one of my favourites from the day - Schiehallion from Queen's View. A nice wee stop off close to Tummel Bridge.

DSC_0061.jpg
Schiehallion from Queen's View
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Re: Schiehallion - A Superb 40th Birthday Present

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:45 pm

you're never as old as that! you don't look a day over 39 :lol:
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby nathan79 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Fine weather for the occasion, vodka well earned.

Not surprised the car park was packed. I did it on a ridiculously beatiful Monday in May a couple of years ago and there were plenty cars there. I think I set off about 2:30pm so I met everyone coming down and then had the top to myself for ages. Sadly I need to revisit it since my hard drive buggered up and I lost my summit pic. But then again, I'll take a day like you got and savour a return journey there.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Tomsie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:52 pm

Happy Birthday John some more great photos
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland