walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Safe munros for dogs

Safe munros for dogs

Postby Miniowner » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:26 pm

Hi all, i am thinking of doing Ben Lomond on Friday of this week (19/07/13) and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the descent by Ptarmigan is a safe option for my labrador? she has done 7 munros with me so far and i would hate for her to miss the fun ! :D Thanks.
Miniowner
Hill Bagger

Munros:77   Corbetts:18
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Safe munros for dogs

Postby dogplodder » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:22 pm

Can't comment on descent by the Ptarmigan, although it sounds fine for reasonably fit labs. What would concern me more is the temperature. I'm planning on doing a hill on Friday and will reluctantly leave my labs at home because they don't cope well with the heat. If there's no natural water (often the case high up) it's difficult for them to cool themselves and they're at risk of heat stroke. If you decide to take her make sure you carry double water supplies - enough for both of you! :D
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby soulminer » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Your lab would cope with this route down, and there is some water to be had on descent. But as dogplodder says take ample water supplies. I carry 3 litres for my two collies even if there are rivers and streams on the walk.

This is on the Ptarmigan ridge :
IMGP0495 by BoydBlair, on Flickr

There are sheep, and possibly cattle on the route up. Some sheep on the route back out, so keep your dog close, or on a lead in those areas.
Take care in the heat !
soulminer

Postby Lmyk85 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:45 pm

I did Ben Lomond with my dog today. It was uncomfortably hot for her and very exposed on the hillside. Although she plodded on as I hauled all the extra water for us both in the heat, I'm not sure either of us enjoyed it as we should have.

There was absolutely no drinking water on the ascent for the dog although we didn't come down the Ptarmigan ridge. There was a lot of livestock on the middle section of the ascent (mostly on the actual path) but they didn't bat an eyelid at the dog and she is very well behaved anyway.

I suspect that in future, il only be taking the dog in more typical Scottish weather than we're having at the moment!
Lmyk85
Ambler

Munros:61   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:2   

Postby honey_munster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:16 am

I've taken my previous 2 dogs Honey and Tess up Ben Lomond and descended by the Ptarmigan ridge several times. Some big steps down initially but most big or medium-sized dogs would manage this fine.

http://userweb.eng.gla.ac.uk/david.hutchings/panorama0.html

As previously mentioned, it's essential to avoid the worst of the heat. As far as water is concerned, there's a burn crossed by a bridge just on leaving the forest path, a lochan on the Ptarmigan as pictured, and a burn towards the bottom of the Ptarmigan path. Watch that in extended dry weather, these may dry up.

I've had an incident with a bullock once who straddled a steep section of the main path and was enjoying getting patted by passing walkers. I crept by on the opposite side of the path with the dogs to the outside on leads and got a shove in the back as I passed it.
honey_munster

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:5   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Postby chrisandbex » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:04 pm

Check out my munro map, my dog has done 154 munros and all of them a doddle for him, only ones I wouldnt take him up are liatach and aonach eagach and thats not because he couldnt do them, he could but i would be too anxious for him. Any route up ben lomond is fine, just hot for them at the mo.
Bex
chrisandbex
Mountain Walker

Munros:180   Corbetts:18
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:15
Wainwrights:36   

Postby Miniowner » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi everyone, thank you for all your replies..due to the incredible heat ( am i the ony person in the U.K who can't stand this heat lol? :crazy: ) i decided it would be safer not to take India, the mutt, on any hills today..in fact i sacked it for myself as well !! :lol: The revised plan is to go to Lomond on Monday of next week and will decide on the day if it is still too hot for her. I always carry plenty fluids for both dog and self and would never place her in any unsafe situation, she travels in an air conditioned Range Rover and to be honest i probably look after her needs more than mine !! :roll: Thanks again and happy hiking! :)
Miniowner
Hill Bagger

Munros:77   Corbetts:18
Fionas:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:29   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion