walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More

Bynack More

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:31 am

Route description: Bynack More from Glenmore

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 13/07/2013

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 23 km

Ascent: 800m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another few days in the highlands and the weather forecast was looking promising for a planned wander in the Cairngorms. We stayed at the Speyside Golf and Country Club in Aviemore and I have to say my golfing appetite was rising. This is a wonderful location looking out over the golf course to the rear and a clear view of the Cairngorm Mountains at the front. To someone who is used to the flat lands of York this was just dream land.
Anyway we parked at the Allt Mor Car Park on the road towards the Ski Centre, there was not a car in the area which was a sharp contrast to the minions alongside Loch Morlich. We took the WH route as described which is an excellent and easy description, the two large boulders which point the way out of the car park are easy to locate. A pleasant and easy start to the walk is most enjoyable which passes through trees of Scotch Pine, Juniper and Birch and eventually onto the main Forestry Track through the Ryvoan Reserve. This path is followed until An Lochan Uaine is reached, I was here last year and marvelled at this wonderful place which today was so peaceful. I was as much impressed with its beauty today as I was the previous year. A customary wander to the Lochan shore was undertaken to examine more closely the magical colour and to feel the atmosphere here.
This is definitely a place I shall come again and maybe when my legs will no longer carry me up the Mountains and fells I can come here and just relax with my memories…Simply beautiful!
P1020557.JPG
Lochan an Uaine
P1020560.JPG

Onwards the path carries on eventually coming to a fork, the right fork is taken following the Lairig an Laoigh path towards Braemar, thereafter the Ryvoan Bothy comes into view quietly nestling under Meall a’ Bhuachaille.

The path ahead is clear to see and wanders for such a long way and can be seen wandering its way up to the high ridge to the left of Bynack More. There is a wonderful coffee stop at the bridge over the River Nethy and we took full advantage of the opportunity. The path looking ahead did look a long long way!
P1020593.JPG
River Nethy and an ideal coffee stop
P1020563.JPG
Looking towrads the way ahead in the distance

As the moorland is crossed and gently rises with each step there are nice views to the right of Strath Nethy which is an alternative return route after topping Bynack More. We had not made our minds up of the return route at this moment, much will depend on stamina and weather conditions later in the day.
The ridge is soon reached and the objective can be seen dead ahead and looking a little steeper that the walk so far, the summit was covered in cloud, however as ever we were hopeful it would clear at the top to allow some photographs. The climb towards the summit is easily reached with a choice of paths between the rocky outcrops.

P1020564.JPG
Strath Nethy
P1020567.JPG
Looking back to Meall a' Bhuachallie from the ridge
P1020568.JPG
Bynack More and Beg
P1020571.JPG
P1020572.JPG

The mist had lifted and we were rewarded with some magnificent 360* views of the mountains and of course the Little Barns of Bynack were beckoning. We had decided on a return by the same way after a discussion with a gentleman from Dundee on the summit who said the Strath Nethy route although pleasant is quite rough in places. We were not however returning until we had visited the barns themselves.
These granite tors are really impressive and are put into perspective here with my wife Carol stood against them.

P1020575.JPG
The Little Barns
P1020576.JPG
Granite tors on Beinn Mheadhoin
P1020578.JPG
Dubh Lochan in the distance
P1020579.JPG
Road runners
P1020583.JPG
Barns of Bynack
P1020584.JPG
P1020591.JPG
Strath Nethy and Meall a' Bhauchallie
Another few photos and it was about turn the route back down the Lairig an Laoigh path is a delight with beautiful views towards Meall a’Bhuachaille and Ben Rinnes to the west. A wonderful walk throughout although a little tiring for our first day.
Could my few days in the Highlands get any better?
I was hoping so!
Attachments
P1020561.JPG
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Bynack More

Postby dooterbang » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Well done to you both. I seen nothing when doing BM so nice to see the views.

The green lochan is stunning :)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby RicKamila » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:51 pm

A great hill and a great walk. We didn't head down to the barns as it was sitting on 28C when we were there and it was starting to get a wee bit too hot for us, so headed back. Think we'll revisit it one day though.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby ChrisW » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:51 pm

Great report LH....but don't go using all your energy on the first day :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby simon-b » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Excellent stuff, LH. It looks like you had a great day on one of the Cairngorms I've yet to climb. A great area, with massive mountains which show their best features to people who make the effort to get among them.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mountainboy12 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:33 pm

well done Bynack More was my 50th munro
Was it windy up there?
how much munros do you expect to do my the end of the year?
mountainboy12
Stravaiging

Munros:260   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby L-Hiking » Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:38 pm

RicKamila wrote:A great hill and a great walk. We didn't head down to the barns as it was sitting on 28C when we were there and it was starting to get a wee bit too hot for us, so headed back. Think we'll revisit it one day though.

You must revisit, the Barns are impressive

dooterbang wrote:Well done to you both. I seen nothing when doing BM so nice to see the views.

Thanks Dooters..makes a change to get some views..I was lucky

ChrisW wrote:Great report LH....but don't go using all your energy on the first day :lol: :lol:

Plenty of energy left for a couple of pints later :lol:

simon-b wrote:Excellent stuff, LH. It looks like you had a great day on one of the Cairngorms I've yet to climb. A great area, with massive mountains which show their best features to people who make the effort to get among them.

Thanks Simon

I have a long way to go to reach your total :roll:

Would be good to maybe meet for a hike sometime a bit nearer home maybe?

mountainboy12 wrote:how much munros do you expect to do my the end of the year?

Living in the Lowlands of York, I am not sure if I will get up again this year...still got some Wainwrights to knock off

Cheers
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:09 am

Great report Geoff, I was looking at the very long looking path to Bynack More when we climbed Meall a’ Bhuachaille on Tuesday just gone. Those Tors are massive, another for the list. :D
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:08 pm

Well done, Geoff................on getting the report done at last! :lol:
Looked a great walk and some wonderful views :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland