walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scrambled in Skye

Scrambled in Skye

Postby weaselmaster » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:29 pm

Date walked: 27/07/2013

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A few months back I noticed a scrambling course advertised on the MCofS website aimed at hillwalkers that were looking to up their skills for the more demanding Munros on the list. Aha, thinks me – that’s just what I need for the second half of the hills, and luckily book the last 2 places. It’s in Skye as well – a place that sends me into a cold sweat at the very mention of *the Cuillin* Then it gets filed away at the back of the brain as something scary that’s going to happen one day, but doesn’t need to be thought about quite yet. However, that day eventually rolls round and the apprehension builds over the week. I’ve no real idea how experienced or not the other participants will be and have my usual worries of being a big wuss when it comes to steep and exposed stuff. However, I reckon that the hills I’ve covered in the last month should have set me up for it fairly well and to make sure, we decide to put in the Forcan Ridge as a wee tester on the way to the course.

I’ve only ever been to Skye once before, many years ago for a day trip, and have no idea what the hills are going to look like up close. In fact, the only time I went was before the Skye bridge was built, so that was a novelty to go over. I’d also been a bit concerned about “tiny narrow roads” but in fact the single track to Glen Brittle is served much better by passing places than many other wee tracks I’ve had to encounter in recent hillwalks, so I quite enjoyed the drive to the Glen Brittle Hut. Clag was hiding the tops of the hills when we arrived, but we’d had good views of Bla Bheinn and the strange flat-topped Dun Caan on Raasay. Midges were out in force, surprisingly, as we parked at the hut. We were greeted by Heather (Morning) who was running the course along with Bill Strachan from Scotch on the Rocks guiding. The good news – for us - was that 3 people on the course were cancellations or no shows, which meant a ratio of guide to student of 1:2 – not bad for the measly price of £90 for 2 days including accommodation! We met up with the other 3 learners in the party and had some basic instruction in rope work – something entirely new to me. I’ve never been great with knots, but here was an incentive to make sure they were right, as I’d potentially be left dangling from one…

The Hut itself was comfy and I regretted not bringing a more varied selection of foodstuffs to cook in the well equipped kitchen. There was a resident warden, the rather ferociously territorial Ruth, who informed us she’d been a warden there for 36 years and considered herself “she who must be obeyed” I think. We all had an early night in the dorm (NB – the top canvas bunks are comfier than the bottom solid ones)

Day 1: Sgurr Sgumain via Sron na Ciche Ridge

P1030304 by 23weasels, on Flickr

A reasonably clear morning greeted us for the following day – we headed down to Glen Brittle campsite – surely midge heaven if ever such a place exists – and started to walk along to Coir a’Ghrunnda where we were going to go up the sides of the crags.

P1030305 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030309 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030310 by 23weasels, on Flickr

About an hour into the approach I realised with a sinking feeling that I had left our helmets on the parcel shelf of the car. This was not good. Heather, being the Safety Officer for MCofS was, needless to say less than impressed and ended up giving Allison her own helmet and commandeering Annie, the trainee Mountain Instructor’s for me. I felt really awful about that – I’d been prepared to walk without one, but knew that might be difficult for Heather to allow, and now I was endangering someone else’s skull contents through my lack of organisation… Abashed, I couldn’t really mock anyone else that day, and boy, did we come across a few numpties out on the hill. Gold medal goes to the young Spanish couple who were following behind us and asked, as we stopped to practice belaying, “Is this the way to the top?” In unison, Allison & Heather ask – “the top of what?”. “The hill” is the reply. Heather tells them that this is really quite a tricky place to be walking in, having established they have no map, guide book or even rucksack. They look a bit bewildered, walk on for a bit and we’re relieved to see them head back down the track an hour or so later, having presumably been up to the Loch. Aye, just nip up Sgurr Alasdair without any kit or directions, you’ll be fine pal! :lol: :lol:

View back to Soay
P1030311 by 23weasels, on Flickr

An casteil
P1030313 by 23weasels, on Flickr

We set off up the ridge on sron na ciche, me being particularly consious there were a group of rock climbers directly above us, hence the need for helmets was increased and Heather hadn't got one because of me...

P1030314 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Climbers above the route we take:
P1030315 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Where does this bit go?
P1030317 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030318 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Used ropes for a couple of easy pitches then some scrambling up to the top of the ridge,
P1030322 by 23weasels, on Flickr

before a tricky little descent to the bealach at the top of the Sgumain stone chute - got to try an improvised abseil technique on this one after belaying Allison down.

Top of Sron na Ciche, looking to Loch coir a'ghrunnda
P1030325 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Heading up Sgurr Sgumain
P1030331 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Sgurr Alasdair
P1030333 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Coir a'ghrunnda
P1030337 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030339 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Sgurr dubh Mor
P1030340 by 23weasels, on Flickr

The Cioch
P1030341 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Sgurr dubh Mor
P1030342 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030343 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Alasdair from Sgumain - looks easy but isn't!
P1030344 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030346 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Basteir Tooth
P1030348 by 23weasels, on Flickr
Sgurr Mhic Connich
P1030349 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Weather was clearing and Heather gave us the chance to nip up to the peak of Sgurr Sgumain. No second invitation needed we jumped at the chance and were rewarded with fantastic views down into Coir a'ghrunnda and over to the adjacent peak of Alasdair, plus the neighbouring summits of Dubh Mor, Nan Eag and Mhic Connich - also able to make out the Inn Pinn. Descended in high spirits having been granted unexpectedly clear views and the day got even better with a double raven fly past, the grokks echoing from the stony walls around us.

Bealach at top of Sgumain Stone Chute
P1030354 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Descent was by the Sgumain Stone Chute, a fairly steep bouldery passage down into Coire Lagan. We'd seen the Cioch from above and on the way down the Chute we saw it from below. The descent gave great views along the east section of the main ridge too including the rather terrifying TD gap. Oh I'm not sure I'm looking forward to doing this lot :lol: :roll:

P1030357 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030358 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030360 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030363 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Cioch from below
P1030364 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Sgumain Chute
P1030369 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Picking our way carefully amongst the boulders took a while but eventually we got back down to flat ground and had a pleasant walk back to the campsite.

P1030370 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Back at the Hut the weather just got better and better and it got to the point where it was too hot to sit in the sun :shock: At least the dry heat kept the *Midge* away. We had a pleasant evening in the company of the other learners, with the Leaders having gone off for an evening in Carbost.

P1030373 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030376 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Bedroom
P1030378 by 23weasels, on Flickr

View from Hut
P1030379 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Sgurr Sgumain being the right of the twin pointy peaks (alasdair's the other one)
P1030380 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030384 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Evening glow
P1030386 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Day 2: Sgurr an Fheadain via the Spur from the Fairy Pools
I suppose I'd hoped to get maybe 1 Munro summit out of the weekend and when this little hill (688m) was suggested there was perhaps a bit of disappointment. Looking at the route books suggested it might be quite interesting however. i'd had a lousy night's sleep and woke with a headache, so wasn't on the best form in the morning. i did, however, remember to pack the helmets :lol:
we were going to use longer rope pitches today - yesterday we'd been using 30m ropes, today it was up to 60m which was quite substaintially heavier to carry, especially once it was wet :o

We parked up at the Fairy Pools carpark in a haze of *Midge* and quick-walked it down to the Pools, which were lovely - amazingly blue water. Some way ahead of us there was a couple of guys, one wearing a white rain poncho which made him look like a ghost - I though a bit like the PacMan ghosts that went about eating up the creatures. Anyway, with the balance of my mind still suitably disturbed we got to the foot of the steep, pyramidic peak, which is mostly basalt.

P1030390 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030393 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030394 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030397 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030399 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Our party
P1030402 by 23weasels, on Flickr

The "Ghost"
P1030404 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Heather had intended that we use the slabs at the base for some free scrambling practice, but the wet weather had curtailed that option due to considerable slippiness and we used ropes instead. The repetitive nature of finding a belay, securing and heading up was excellent practice, although it made me aware of two things - firstly the need for concentration at all times when on a rope (or responsibel for someone else on your rope) and secondly that pulling in slack from a belay is pretty tiring work on the arm. Later on we learned how to use an Italian Hitch belay which made that part easier. I felt I was getting quite slick with some of the rope work now - something that surprised me as it usually takes me an age to learn anything practical. Another thing I learned was that it takes a lot longer to get anywhere when you are using ropes, and that this is a bit challenging when small clouds of midges find out where you are sitting, even over 500m. :crazy:

P1030405 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Allison getting ready to go up
P1030406 by 23weasels, on Flickr

We got to the top of the slopy section and had something to eat before cracking on to the steep rocky part to the summit.

P1030410 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030413 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030414 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030416 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030417 by 23weasels, on Flickr

I was able to lead on most of the sections here and felt comfortable in doing so. Eventually we topped out and enjoyed a free scramble up to the very top, past some fantastic views down Waterpipe Gully.
P1030421 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030424 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Descent was down the scree slopes to the east of the hill down into Coire na Creiche - this was proper scree and was great fun - for me at least - sliding down at a fair pace - Allison remains a bit scared of scree since her traumatic encounter with it on Foinaven :lol:
P1030431 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030432 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030434 by 23weasels, on Flickr

"we were up there!"
P1030436 by 23weasels, on Flickr

P1030437 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Followed the Allt Coir a'Tairnealar back down to the Fairy Pools, which were seething with people including a large group of brightly clothed peole being addressed by a man in a large black cloak - clearly the nemesis of the white ghost we'd seen earlier.

P1030439 by 23weasels, on Flickr

Back to the Hut to pick up our stuff then a wonderful evening to drive down the road - the sea calm as a millpond and great views all the way down, including a striking sunset through Glen Coe - pity I was driving and had to watch the road. Bite to eat at the Cluanie Inn (their fish & chips being top notch as usual) and home by 10.30.

A really great weekend that boosted my confidence with scrambly terrain and taught me the basics about rope work for hillwalking purposes. think I'm still a little way off the nerve needed to do any climbing :lol: but lets say i'm less terrified of the idea than I was this time last week. I'd heartily recommend this course to anyone who was looking to up their basic skills - Heather's a great teacher :thumbup:
Last edited by weaselmaster on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Scrambled in Skye

Postby dtr42 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:55 pm

well done on your course and a great report :clap:
dtr42
Mountaineer

Postby nathan79 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:42 am

Some cracking scrambly fun indeed.

I did the Glencoe scrambling course, Heather and Bill both present at that, and it was well worth it.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby Bod » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:01 am

Great report and well done! Some great locations there and what a good idea doing it on an MCofS scrambling course, a cracking deal there :D :D :clap:

ps...your photo with the question mark, that is Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, TD gap is located on the south east side of Sgurr Alasdair.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:37 am

Bod wrote:ps...your photo with the question mark, that is Sgurr Mhic Choinnich, TD gap is located on the south east side of Sgurr Alasdair.

Thanks for the correction - does look much more of a notch than a gap, that one, didn't think I could be right
Don't think I'll be going near it at the WH meet next month though - sticking to easier ground :)
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:197   Donalds:75+31
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Bog_Seeking_M1ssle » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:03 am

Great report! Was great to meet you and Allison. The Spur looks like great fun...I'm pretty sure John and I were definitely in climbing territory on day 2!! :? :lol:
Bog_Seeking_M1ssle
Stravaiging

Munros:189   Corbetts:10
Fionas:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:36 pm

This does look familiar :wink: - missed you by a day or so. Excellent idea to take a course - won't be long before you're back to cover the hills no doubt - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland