walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

golden eagle or sea eagle on Marsco?

golden eagle or sea eagle on Marsco?

Postby Lenore » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:29 am

Hi there! I saw a pair of eagles while having lunch on the summit of Marsco next to the Cuillin last week. Awesome sight!! They flew by just above us (fancied our lunch? Or us? :lol: ) and then turned and headed back towards Blaven. Now they were right on top of us, 20 meters or so, and perfect for pictures, but I was too excited to hold the camera still ( :crazy: ) so all I got was this shaky shot below.

I thought they were a pair of golden eagles as they were, well, golden brown, and I've heared there's a few pair of them nesting in the Cuillin. However, I couldn't shake the feeling that I had not spotted the upturned wingtips last time I saw a golden eagle. Googled sea eagles and to my surprise they can be rather brownish all over as well. And they seem to have more upturned wingtips. I know the size and all should be a giveaway, but I have so little experience with this I just know they were BIG :lol:

Anyone have any idea? Do sea eagles fly in pairs? In the Cuillin area?

DSC09530 by Eleonora F, on Flickr

You can click on the image to go to a bigger version on flickr I think. Am afraid it doesn't get any more focused though :?
Lenore
Mountaineer

Munros:13   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: golden eagle or sea eagle on Marsco?

Postby RicKamila » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:37 pm

Look Golden Eagle-ish to me. Seen a pair of them on Ben Tianavaig and they had that similar wing shape.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby ouroboros » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:56 am

Don't think anyone could identify those with any confidence based on the picture.

Golden eagles would be more likely I suspect. Juveniles may be following adults on the wing by now.

Sea Eagles seem to prefer the coasts and moors.

Passing by and turning away quickly is typical of Golden eagles.....they don't tend to hang around people.

Bet it was an enjoyable sight though. :)
ouroboros

Munros:282   

Postby David-Main » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:46 am

I would say with confidence golden eagles, as a previous reply says White-tailed eagles prefer the coast. I just came back from Skye - Carbost and saw 4 Sea eagles together soaring above a ridge across Loch harport.
David-Main
Backpacker

Munros:281   Corbetts:47
Fionas:14   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:20   
Islands:21

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings