walkhighlands

Check this board for announcements about new features and content on Walkhighlands

Spell Checker

Spell Checker

Postby brpro26 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:20 pm

Any chance of adding a Spell Checker into the topic edit/reply. I'm not really thick just getting to that stage when words don't look right when you tiype them. :? :oops:
brpro26

Munros:220   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Spell Checker

Postby coachmacca » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:36 pm

bpro - was the same but now i write in word (check spelling etc) then copy /paste to WH :wink:
coachmacca
Stravaiging

Munros:39   Corbetts:7
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Paul Webster » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:50 am

Many browsers also offer spell checking as you write your posts - e.g. Chrome underlines words it doesn't recognize the spelling of in red whilst you type, and I think Firefox also has spell check. It makes more sense and will be much, much faster for you to use these built-in browser functions than to have to have all the spellings referred against our servers.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby brpro26 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:11 am

I'll have a look into the Firefox options and see if there's anything speling related. Thanks
brpro26

Postby gaffr » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:22 am

Can I ask about rectifying my own poor spelling in a 'non trip report'....seems o.k. to do corrections when you open up a report for this function using the 'Edit button'.....but how do you correct when attempting this with 'a wee blether of a posting'. Recently getting mixed up with my 'o and e's' when trying to write humorously when I turned it out to look like an upper arm bone? :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Last week we hiked in lovely GLEN TIT :wink:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Earlier this year we climbed an easy Corbett, Meall na h-Arse :silent:
Not to mention Morrone and Mount Battock :lol: :lol:

To be serious: I use Firefox and it has a spell checker :D
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:07 pm

brpro26 wrote:I'll have a look into the Firefox options and see if there's anything speling related. Thanks

Don't know what it is but seeing people spell 'spelling' wrong really tickles my funny bone. Think it's one of the greatest ironies in the world.

Anyway, Chrome for me and it has a spell checker which, as Paul says, underlines the word and then you can right click it and it gives suggestions on what the word should have been. Pretty accurate but there are occasions when I mess something up so bad it doesn't recognise it however a copy n paste into Google normally turns up the right result in its 'Did you mean' feature.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby mountainstar » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Not all browsers have a spell checker I found. I have downloaded Ginger spell checker, it works well.
http://www.gingersoftware.com/spellcheck
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby gaffr » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:00 pm

I think that the gentleman who is a good speller is probably having a go at me too....maybe unintentionally :lol: I have been trying to correct my own bad spelling in a posting a couple of days ago. See my attempt at humorous with an 'e' in the middle and your tickled 'funny bone'. :) Seriously I do pick up on some of my errors maybe not always instantly which is fine with the trip reports...using the 'edit button' that I have use in the past for correcting spelling errors. However in ordinary text in the general section I can't seem to get my finger onto an 'edit button' to alter things? Also it does seem impossible to alter a missspelt Subject Header? :)
Far better that someone posts on here but, without ridicule, regarding slip ups with a few letters using the alphabet.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby brpro26 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:14 pm

RyanfaeScotland wrote:
brpro26 wrote:I'll have a look into the Firefox options and see if there's anything speling related. Thanks

Don't know what it is but seeing people spell 'spelling' wrong really tickles my funny bone. Think it's one of the greatest ironies in the world.

Dissappointed in you RS thought you wood have appreciated the irony in that.
Who needs a spell chequer anyway :crazy:
brpro26

Postby Paul Webster » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:28 am

Just to clarify the editing, you can always edit your trip reports. Posts in discussion threads, however, can only be edited for 5 mins after posting (or is 10? :crazy: )
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby gaffr » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:21 am

Well that explains what I was trying to undo.....Many thanks but the folks on here will have to live with my part funny bone spelling of fun. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:56 am

gaffr wrote:I think that the gentleman who is a good speller is probably having a go at me too....maybe unintentionally :lol: I have been trying to correct my own bad spelling in a posting a couple of days ago. See my attempt at humorous with an 'e' in the middle and your tickled 'funny bone'. :) Seriously I do pick up on some of my errors maybe not always instantly which is fine with the trip reports...using the 'edit button' that I have use in the past for correcting spelling errors. However in ordinary text in the general section I can't seem to get my finger onto an 'edit button' to alter things? Also it does seem impossible to alter a missspelt Subject Header? :)
Far better that someone posts on here but, without ridicule, regarding slip ups with a few letters using the alphabet.

I did think there would be a joke in there somewhere but I was too lazy to figure one out :)

At the end of the day as long as you are being understood I wouldn't be that worried about it, it's not like these are legal documents or anything. The exception being the the word 'lose'! So often these days I see it spelt as 'loose' which is just not acceptable no matter what the situation!
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Postby gaffr » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:26 pm

Hello Ryan,
I just found out that you have to be quick to amend typing errors with some of these forum sections...I think that you are allowed just a few minutes to make changes :lol: to non trip report postings. The trip reports are amendable at any time? I've got no chance when it takes me more that one re-read to spot errors. :lol:
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:19 am

gaffr wrote:Hello Ryan,
I just found out that you have to be quick to amend typing errors with some of these forum sections...I think that you are allowed just a few minutes to make changes :lol: to non trip report postings. The trip reports are amendable at any time? I've got no chance when it takes me more that one re-read to spot errors. :lol:

Hey gaffr, yeah that's right, 10 minutes is the limit for normal posts and unlimited for trip reports but as I said I wouldn't worry about spelling (or speelling, or speling) all that much as long as your post it readable most people will be happy. :)
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walkhighlands announcements and feedback