walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Postby Fernando » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:28 pm

Hello guys

Me and my friend are new to this and we would like to go to our first walking experience. I have found this http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/macdui-cairngorm.shtml on google and would like to know if you guys know more about it.

We have no gear at all and also would like to know if it is really necessary to buy full gear or just some for this rout specifically and also how to get more information about this, where to start, will we be alone or with a group. How does it work.

We are planing to go in November this ear, I'm not so sure if it will be snowing. Could someone give me some advise? Thanks
Fernando
Mountaineer

Re: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Postby Fife Flyer » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:33 pm

Firstly why Cairngorms?
Secondly in November the weather will almost definitely mean you will need some sort of gear.
Had you been walking during this summer you could have got away with not having gear - at a push, but still not adviseable. The Scottish weather being unpredictable dictates that you have to plan for the worst.
Another thing that strangers to the hills forget is the temperature drop as you climb, so for example on Ben Macdui the temperature on the summit will be 12 degrees C colder & in November, that will probably mean below freezing :wink:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the hills will be there for another day, safety must always come first 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:130   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby RicKamila » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:50 pm

This has stupid idea written all over it. First hillwalking experience and you pick the second tallest hill in the UK during the start of winter in the area that receives the first snowfalls each year around October and have no equipment or skill... :shock:

I am sorry to be as blunt as that, but I would never venture out into the hills without the basic equipment and that includes during summer. Ok, some days you know you wont need everything and can pack light, but the weather in the Cairngorms turns just like that.

Your best bet is to start low - find a nice Sub-2000 or Graham and work your way up from there, but please, buy yourself some basic equipment like a rucksack and good shoes.

The more experience you get, the more you will know what you can do and what you need to do it. Learn to read maps too, it helps when things go wrong...

This area is avalanche prone too, so if you do climb the hills without anything and something goes wrong then the best result will be getting picked up by MRT or the Helicopter where you will get an ear-bashing if you are under-equipped, or worse - Death. I've seen people being airlifted off Bennachie and Arthurs Seat, both Sub-2000's and quite easy to walk, but dangerous if you don't have your wits about you.

Start small and in better weather and build up from there. Always put your safety first. As Fife Flyer says, the hills will be there for another day.
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Fernando » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Wow, thanks for the advises :lol:

I picked cairngorm because I have been there a couple of times and I like the place. I thought in my little mind that it would be something like going with a group and not by ourselves. The weather changes I have anticipated but the avalanche thing didn't cross my mind and it sounds serious.

I have already planned my trip to the mountains and just wanted a nice place to adventure. I presume you guys already done this rout. If not that what would you advise around there? And equipment wise, could it be rented or will I have to buy my own?

Unfortunately I am the type of a person that jumps into action, I like my videogames level hard or above... very likely I will be going anyway.
Fernando
Mountaineer

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:09 am

I've been in the Cairngorms in late October and it's been warm and sunny. I've been there in August and it's been snowing - so be prepared for any type of weather and take heed of all weather forecasts. The Mountain Weather Information Service give good forecasts and advice.
Although you might get snow, it's less likely that there would be avalanches in November as the snow pack will have only just started to form and it's likely to be forming on bouldery ground first, with less chance of it sliding.
The Cairngorms are also known for severe / storm force winds and these are often particularly bad from the South West. You wouldn't be able to stand up in these winds.
If you genuinely have no gear, then you'll need 3 season boots (minimum), base layers, mid layers, waterproof outer layer, map, compass (and know how to use both), rucksack, torch & spare batteries, 2 pairs gloves, survival bag, food + emergency food etc.
You'll be needing to spend at least £500 on these unless you can borrow the equipment.
You could get a fine, dry day, with no wind (but the hours of daylight are short) and have a great stroll across the plateau.....or the weather could change to heavy snow and storm force winds when you're already out there and you could be fighting for your life. So you also have to know how to read the weather as you go and know when to turn back.
The chances are, that in November, there will be very few walkers on the mountains and you might be the only ones.
Give it serious thought and make all the right decisions.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby denfinella » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:24 am

Hi Fernando,

You've picked a challenging and long route at a potentially difficult time of year. Have you thought about:

- a different time of year? If you avoid the winter you'll have longer daylight hours, and deep snow is unlikely between June and mid-October.
- a shorter or easier route? For example, just Cairngorm.
- or get lots of practice and work up to this.

Whatever you decide, do make sure that a route like this isn't your first walking experience. Try some shorter and easier walks first, to help with fitness and practise map reading skills. Also, it'll give you a chance to try some of your equipment out and allow you to buy it gradually as the walks get harder. Decent walking boots and waterproofs along with good maps to start with.

Would be interested to hear your thoughts :)
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Postby Fernando » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:59 am

Hello Denfinella

I have thought about making it just around Cairngorm and it will most likely be my choice. I already have booked a trip to the area in November so I cannot change the date. I am definitely gonna work out in preparation for this one and I'm checking all equipment I will need, just didn't decide if I should buy the stove or not, after all it says its only a 6 to 8 hours trip.

Border Reiver mentioned that there isn't much snow in November and I'm familiar with the winds in that mountain (it actually dragged my mom last time haha). I am fully aware that if conditions get bad I will have to cut it short and return. I have some walking in the wild experience and I have very good natural navigation skills (so far :lol: ). To be honest the more I hear it is dangerous the more I want to go... cant help, its my nature.
Fernando
Mountaineer

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:29 am

Fernando wrote:Wow, thanks for the advises :lol:

Unfortunately I am the type of a person that jumps into action, I like my videogames level hard or above... very likely I will be going anyway.

Videogames. Well f#ck. What can you say?
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby mband » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:17 am

I would agree with the other posts - the weather in the Cairngorms in November can be awful and change quickly and you need to bee fully prepared with the appropriate skills and equipment.

But on a helpful note why not look at joining a guided walk? Sounds a bit tame? a quick look shows Out on the Hills offering a walk including - Cairngorm & Ben Macdui as well as other day walks to Braeriach or Banyack More.

Yes it will cost you money but you will be able to get further than on your own, stay safe and I'm sure be able to pick the guide's brains on what you'll need to be able to do this on your own. They'll give you advice on minimum equipment you'll need and may have stuff you can borrow or hire.
Try:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/guides.shtml
http://www.glenmorelodge.org.uk/ - they do great courses which not only gets you out in the hills but you will learn loads, and they provide all the equipment you'll need.
http://www.cairngormmountain.org/guided-walks/

Your attitude to risk maybe that you're not too worried about injury or death but remember if you do get in to difficulty you also put the lives of the Mountain Rescue Team in danger. :(
mband

Munros:210   Corbetts:41
Fionas:2   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:23

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:35 am

Nice one mband. :) A far more constructive post than mine and good, sound advice.
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby magicdin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:36 am

Good wind up this thread
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
magicdin
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:110   Donalds:23
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:24
Wainwrights:10   Islands:28

Postby aimeequicks » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:25 pm

We walked this route in August a couple of years ago and most of the way, would have been fine with just decent boots and a waterproof (but still really stupid to try and get away with it). The last third of the walk, the weather really changed and we found ourselves in the clouds, winds so loud we couldn't hear each other and had to use a pre-planned escape route down to safety. Mountain rescue were going out as we got back to the carpark (not for us, I hasten to add!)

DO NOT even think about going out with no gear. You don't have to watch the news for very long to see the terrible accidents that can happen to people who have got loads of experience, and proper stuff. We have all seen people taking their kids up Snowdon etc. with no coats or water, in crocs...don't be those people!

Maybe think about using a mountain guide for your first go, if you want to start with something this challenging? You need some basic kit though. You won't thank anyone for suggesting you can walk these distances in ill fitting boots, rubbish socks etc, and you need some emergency bits and pieces to keep you alive if there is an accident. See the excellent posts above.
aimeequicks
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:3   

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:47 pm

Another fine route very close by that might be more suited to the time of year is this one

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/cairngorms/meallabhuachaille.shtml

You'll still need good boots, waterproofs, warm clothing etc. Fantastic views to the main bulk of the Cairngorm mountains which might well look stunning if there has been a good early snowfall.
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Postby NickyRannoch » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:42 pm

I assume the guy is a troll right? I mean why else ask for advice and then decide when the answer doesn't suit to disregard the advice anyway? I hope this doesn't cross the line into personal abuse but if it is not trolling it is extreme ignorance.

Just to add what has already been said. I have walked to Beinn Macdui from Ski centre car park in July and it was an easy walk, easy to follow path, never broke out the map or compass once and i could probably have done it in slippers. On the other hand people with years of experience, all the right gear and all the hillcraft in the world are dead because they went for a walk there.

Well done on all the bites all the same, good effort.

"natural navigation skills " :lol: :shock: :lol:
NickyRannoch
Mountain Walker

Munros:224   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:17

Postby IamAJMiller » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:29 pm

Can you hear the drums Fernando? It's a forum trying to knock some sense into you! Mountains, video games, give me strength! :crazy:
IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion