walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion - 50th Munro!

Schiehallion - 50th Munro!

Postby howzat » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:11 am

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 10/08/2013

Time taken: 3.5 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was looking for a short day out on the hills for what was to be my 50th Munro and Schiehallion seemed ideal. With an improved forecast than for the previous Saturday’s outing i.e. no gale force winds, I was dropped off at the busy Braes of Foss car park at about 10.30am, and was quickly on my way. It was clear that this was going to be a busy day as my first view of the excellent path snaking its way upwards also gave me a sighting of a long line of walkers spaced out as far as I could see.

Schiehallion this way

Start of excellent path

Schiehallion

I passed all sorts of people on the path; runners on their way down, a 4 year old tackling his first Munro, an elderly somewhat breathless couple who asked me if they were nearly at the top yet (‘No’), many families, and couples in what I would describe as beachwear clothing and so on. It took about an hour’s effort to make it up onto the ridge where the going flattens out a bit and becomes significantly more bouldery but where the summit, still some distance away, was now clearly visible.

Four year old ahead, and runners on the way down

Terrain becoming rockier

Summit now in view

I made my along the rocky path and over the boulders until I reached the summit cairn 1hr 45mins after leaving the car park. I had a quick bite to eat while admiring the superb views all around before heading back down as the steady stream of walkers just kept coming. By now the sun was trying its best to make an appearance and the descent was a very pleasant stroll indeed. I was back to the car park 3hrs 30mins after leaving and it wasn’t long before the wife & in-laws arrived to give me a lift back to Blairgowrie where we had a celebratory curry.

Towards the summit

Looking back down the ridge

Very rocky now

Nearly there

Made it - my 50th Munro

Views of Loch Rannoch from summit

Summit getting crowded so time to go

Back down the wide ridge

Pleasant walk down the path back to the car park

Celebratory curry for my 50th Munro

:D
howzat

Munros:254   Corbetts:13
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Schiehallion - 50th Munro!

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:25 am

Well done on the half century...howzat.

Myself and a couple of mates were up earlier in the day and the entire ridge was completely clag bound so, nice to see the views to the West that you got over Dunalastair & Rannoch. Happy to have missed the crowds though.

Thanks for sharing the pics.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby KMHills » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Jealous - :shock: of the curry in Blairgowrie (?) very nice restaurant.
KMHills
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:1

Postby andyroog » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:20 pm

Big congrats on your 50th big pat on the back from me well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
andyroog
Scrambler

Munros:21   
Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:15   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland