walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Binnein & Ben More walk through

Stob Binnein & Ben More walk through

Postby Alastair S » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:55 am

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 12/02/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1339m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Stob Binnein and Ben More.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Had a 4 day half-term break in the Trossachs en family, but I was allowed a day to myself & the mountains. Forecasts looked good for the earlier days of the break, but on the Thursday it was clear that the Friday would be the best day – and so it proved. So was up an hour or so earlier that than the rest of the family would have liked and after a 3 hr drive from Aberdeenshire was ready for the off at just after 11am.

The ‘off’ was Inverlochlarig for a south to north assault of Stob Binnein & Ben More. Despite the late start there was only one other car in the car park (it was a Friday). The weather was glorious with hardly a breath of wind. It was straight up for nearly 2k. Being a south facing slope there was no snow to speak of till the slight plateau of Stob Invercarnaig at around 700m. The going was fine and I was fresh, taking in fantastic views of a frozen Loch Voil and a distant Ben Vorlich.

P1060843.JPG
Loch Voil with Ben Vorlich in the distance

Once the snow line was reached it was time for some refreshment and on with the crampons as there was plenty of ice on the slight plateau. However I was soon considering taking them off again as the climb to the southern summit was on not very deep powder snow. In the end kept them on, but they weren’t really needed till near the summit of Stob Binnein.

P1060881.JPG
Looking East from Stob Binnein ridge to Cruach Ardrain

Met the owner of the sole car park car just before the southern summit – he was in his shorts! A true Scot. Could now see my first destination, just, as there was light cloud obscuring the last 100m or so.

P1060888.JPG
Well trodden route to Stob Binnein

The next hour was just perfect – easy going, no wind, views all round and the cloud had the decency to clear from the summit! Even better I encountered my first “glory” (aka Brocken spectre). There was also a glory round the sun at one point.

P1060902.JPG
Stob Binnein summit clear of clag

P1060907.JPG
Looking back down ridge from Stob Binnein summit

P1060911.JPG
A “glory” on Stob Binnein summit

P1060913.JPG
Ben More from half way down Stob Binnein

Then down to the bealach – a few peeps had opted for a seat of the descent but it looked a bit steep for me. Meet a few other folk coming the other way. A couple form Lancashire up for a long weekend couldn’t believe their good luck with the weather.

So then up to Ben More: I found this a real struggle – no great difficulty, the snow was firm, the route clear – just steep and I’m not nearly as fit as I would like to be. Also maybe hadn’t eaten or drunken enough. Glad I didn’t need to go back the way I’d come.

So 4 hrs and I’m atop Ben More. Not so lucky with the cloud this time, but by the time I’d had that last of my Bovril it had cleared. Some amazing rime on the boulders up there and great views over to Loch Tay, the Ben Lawers range & Strath Fillian.

P1060947.JPG
Rime encrusted bolder at Ben More summit

P1060948.JPG
Relieved to have topped Ben More

P1060952.JPG
Stob Binnein from Ben More

P1060960.JPG
Looking NW from Ben More (Glen Dochart & Strath Fillian)

P1060964.JPG
On the way down Ben More, looking SW

P1060965.JPG
Loch Lubhair (Breadalbane)

All downhill now. Steep with some hard névé and some deepish powder so took it very carefully. Even managed a couple of seat of my pants descents on the lower less steep parts. Snowline on this side was about 450m and once reached it was off with the crampons. Big mistake. The ground was rock hard, the grass wet and there was still lots of ice about. Ended up on my arse several times and bent my walking pole (but not irreparably). Took about half an hour to cover half a k till I reached the safety of the farm track to Benmore Fm.

All in all another great day. :D :D :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Re: Stob Binnein & Ben More walk through

Postby mountain coward » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:21 am

Some lovely photos there - I think you were brave to go down that descent of Ben More on the hard, slippy stuff (but then I am a coward) - I'd have had to go up that way I think... Love the 2nd pic of Stobinien - the classic shot of it - it truly is a beautiful peak isn't it?
mountain coward

Postby Alan S » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:45 am

Cracking pictures there Alastair 8)
I also like the pics of Stob Binnein
So did you walk back to strathyre after that :)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Alastair S » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:02 pm

alan s wrote:So did you walk back to strathyre after that :)

How did you know I was staying in Strathyre :shock: In fact I got collected at Benmore Fm.
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Postby malky_c » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:23 pm

alan s wrote:Cracking pictures there Alastair 8)
I also like the pics of Stob Binnein

Yup, brilliant. Reports of these hills have been done to death on here, but those photos looking up toward Stob Binnein make me want to be on that ridge right now!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:313   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Alan S » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:57 pm

Alastair S wrote:
alan s wrote:So did you walk back to strathyre after that :)

How did you know I was staying in Strathyre :shock: In fact I got collected at Benmore Fm.

Coz im a serial munro stalker and i was following you :)
Only kidding you said so in your post in general discussion when i recomended these hills to you :D
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Alastair S » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:16 am

Now that I'm learning how to use Photoshop Element I've now managed stitched together a panoramic view looking South from Ben More & posted them on Flickr:
the East view
the West view
the whole lot

enjoy
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Postby bio-man » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:53 pm

Cracking photos Alastair..... definetly the best route for these two!! Your 2nd last photo shows how unrelentingly steep that ascent of Ben More is. Like the photos from Elements...never tried that before :shock:
bio-man
Munro compleatist

Munros:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland