walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Caiston Beck Skyline

Caiston Beck Skyline

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:44 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: High Hartsop Dodd, Little Hart Crag, Middle Dodd, Red Screes

Hewitts included on this walk: Little Hart Crag, Red Screes

Date walked: 18/08/2013

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 700m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Considering it was now mid-august our Wainwright bagging hadn't been quite as prolific as hoped this year. (so far we had only added 16 new fells) A Weekend in the Lakes at the end of the month should help matters but we decided to brave a slightly iffy forecast to get things going again.

We could see from the A66 that the Eastern Fells were getting a good soaking but the heavy shower had passed by the time we shoehorned the car into Cow Bridge car park at Brothers Water. Heavy overnight rain had swollen Brothers Water to bursting point and also soaked the paths but as the sun came out it was a pleasant stroll along to our first target of the day.

Dorothy Wordsworth once wrote of Brothers water in 1802, “...the boughs of the bare old trees, the simplicity of the mountains, and the exquisite beauty of the path...the gentle flowing of the stream, the glittering, lively lake, green fields without a living creature to be seen on them.”
Not a lot has changed since then apart from the addition of a few hundred sheep and the name, which was changed from Broad Water to Brothers Water later in the 19th century following the tragic drowning of two brothers. I've always thought of it as a very strangely shaped natural body of water with its straight edges and the fact that it so readily expands into nearby fields.

Angle Tarn Pikes from Brothers Water by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Hartsop Dodd and a very full Brothers Water by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Onwards we went with the magnificent Dovedale skyline looking particularly impressive. It was decided to get the hard work over with first and headed past High Hartsop Dodd and onto the equally steep but considerably higher Middle Dodd.

Dovedale by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Click on Link for larger version http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnkaysleftleg/9570827687/in/photostream/

This route was described by Wainwright as "only for pedestrians suffering from a surplus of energy" and it is certainly unrelentingly steep until the small summit cairn of the fell comes into view. As recompense of the steepness the views are fantastic and any excuse to stop and admire them was readily taken.
The weather was turning into Classic Lakeland conditions with a patchwork of sun and showers and a stiff breeze. We were treated to a rainbow over Brothers Water but the showers that threatened fortunately never amounted to much.

Just how did they build that? by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Rainbow on the way up Middle Dodd by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Looking towards Brothers Water by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Mountain Layers by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Middle Dodd with Red Screes beyond by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace apparently needing a wee on Middle Dodd by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

We lunched on the top of Middle Dodd, finding a place out of the wind before making our way up the steady slopes to the high point of the day, Red Screes. Unfortunately the Weather was looking like it was closing in at this point so the views to the West weren't quite what they could be. We had our coffee fearing that the gloom to the West would bring us rain and make sitting drinking a cuppa difficult.

Middle Dodd from the ascent of Red Screes by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Red Screes Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Family Summit Shot on Red Screes by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Kirkstone Pass from Red Screes Summit by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Windermere from Red Screes by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

The descent from Red Screes is perhaps the only part of this walk that is somewhat disappointing as you make your way down bland slopes towards the Scandale pass. Once the pass is reached and you start the gentle climb to Little Hart Crag the interest gradually returns.

Little Hart Crag catches some light by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Scandale Pass by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

For whatever reason the wind was very strong on Little Hart Crag summit, so much so it was a little difficult to stand up. As a result we didn't linger long and made our way along the ridge to the final top of the day. This is a fine stroll with great views (complete with another rainbow) and soon enough we were at the final lump on the ridge, the recognized summit of High Hartsop Dodd. The "high" part of the name refers to the geography rather than the height as this is actually the lowest of the three Dodds in this part of the world.

Scandale from Little Hart Crag by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Red Screes and Middle Dodd by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Grace and Hughie on High Hartsop Dodd by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Somewhere over the Rainbow by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Brothers Water from High Hartsop Dodd by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

A relatively short and sharp descent with great views took us back to the pastures below. It was then a case of walking past the thankfully placid bull and Brothers Water to get back to the Car.

Looking back at High Hartsop Dodd by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

Old Farm Building in Dovedale by johnkaysleftleg, on Flickr

This is a fine circuit with great views and it’s fairly quiet too (Red Screes summit apart we saw only a hand full of other walkers on the Hills). All in all a fine day out in excellent hill walking weather and another four ticked off.

TR_130818-111234.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:11
Fionas:11   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Re: Caiston Beck Skyline

Postby SusieThePensioner » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:18 am

Good to see you back out in the Lakes! A great day's walking and some lovely photos :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby ChrisW » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:59 pm

What a great hike to have to yourselves JK, beautiful photos as always, hard to believe the absence of others in such a location :shock:

love the Wainwright quote
"only for pedestrians suffering from a surplus of energy"
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:47 pm

A nice horseshoe that one, JK. Well done to all of you for that slog up Middle Dodd (coming down that ridge in the snow in March, I performed my first ice axe self-arrest in anger). Great views and photos, despite the grey conditions further west.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:36 pm

SusieThePensioner wrote:Good to see you back out in the Lakes! A great day's walking and some lovely photos :thumbup:

Thanks Susie

ChrisW wrote:What a great hike to have to yourselves JK, beautiful photos as always, hard to believe the absence of others in such a location :shock:

love the Wainwright quote
"only for pedestrians suffering from a surplus of energy"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Chris, AWs books are full of wonderful little snippets like this one.

simon-b wrote:A nice horseshoe that one, JK. Well done to all of you for that slog up Middle Dodd (coming down that ridge in the snow in March, I performed my first ice axe self-arrest in anger). Great views and photos, despite the grey conditions further west.

Thanks Simon. I can certainly imagine Middle Dodd in snow being somewhat treacherous. Certainly is a steep one!
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

Postby Sarah86 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:33 am

I do wish I lived just a little nearer the Lakes to frequent it more. Wonderful photos as always, I love the first shot of the view to Brothers water.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby johnkaysleftleg » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:10 pm

Sarah86 wrote:I do wish I lived just a little nearer the Lakes to frequent it more. Wonderful photos as always, I love the first shot of the view to Brothers water.

Thank you Sarah, I wish I lived closer as well, costs us a fortune in petrol :lol:
johnkaysleftleg
Hill Bagger

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland