walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hill walking

Hill walking

Postby MaryWilson » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:55 am

Hello all, I am very new to hillwalking in fact started last year with my brother. We visit glen Coe every second Sunday and do hill walking. To start with mainly low level however yesterday we bagged our first Munro, up through the beautiful lost valley then once past the valley floor we climbed up over to the left. not sure of the name of the mountain but you know where I mean. I found this climb quite intimidating as I don't have a head for heights believe it or not however I did do it and the view was amazing. I did realise that I need to have stronger legs if we are going to continue to climb, my legs were very tried on the way back. We did have a cracking day for it
MaryWilson
Mountaineer

Munros:2   

Re: Hill walking

Postby GillC » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:55 am

Hi Mary, Welcome to the hills. Glencoe is a fabulous place, might have been Sgreamhach you took on up the Lost Valley,,hope you enjoyed.. Hey,,evened hardened climbers have sore legs on the way down :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby weebirdie » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:41 pm

Hello Mary! I'm new too :D !

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time - your account of your walk made me want to put my boots on right now. And low level walks are STILL great walks, in my opinion - we can't have our heads in the clouds all the time! (It's also reassuring to 'meet' someone else with no head for heights - I burst into tears about 10m from the summit of Ben Lomond because I was daft enough to look down!).

xx
weebirdie
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby MaryWilson » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:58 am

Thanks Gill, that was the one. Was a bit scared once at the top, well what I thought was the top when brother promptly informed me that we were not at the summit yet. Quite smugly he says look left and up there is where we need to go to bag this one. I thought didn't I just climb up that thing and then go on to my hands and damn knees to get over onto the top. Well yes he says but up there is the actual summit so looking at it I thought to myself oh god it's very near the edge don't know if I can do this. However by keeping more to the right and scrambling over the rocks it was better as I couldn't really see over the edge . Well I say that I never actually looked :? To sacred, but it felt further from the edge.
MaryWilson
Mountaineer

Postby MaryWilson » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:29 am

Hi weebirdie, I learned very quickly not to look down, or back unless I am sitting down at a fairly safe point, and that's no even at the top :lol: I just focus on the path ahead and where my brother Billy is, he's a smarty pants cos he' s always in front always a fair bit ahead of me. When I think about it , I've no,head for heights, knees are knackered and after that munro clearly no fit WHY exactly I'm i doing this!!!! :think: :think: :?
MaryWilson
Mountaineer

Postby weebirdie » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:08 pm

Because it's THERE!
weebirdie
Mountaineer

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Bob the Dog » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:43 pm

You will be onto your 2nd...3rd....4th before you know it! MWIS will be in your favourites. Countryfile weather forecast will be compulsive viewing. And the walk reports will be written...welcome to this motley crew
Bob the Dog
Munro compleatist

Munros:130   Corbetts:10
Fionas:3   Donalds:1

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...