walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cnap Cruinn

Cnap Cruinn

Postby rob munbett » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:59 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Cnap Cruinn

Date walked: 24/08/2013

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'll start by being honest and saying that this was not the most enjoyable of hills: the weather was unexpectedly poor and, on the latter half of the walk, the terrain was unrelentingly awful! I parked just before An Dubh Lochan on the minor road to Fersit and headed of west on the track through the bracken up the slopes to reach a metal gate and the dismantled tramway track. Across the gate I headed right and followed the track, which was very wet in places, to the dam.
P1010834.JPG
Cnap Cruinn from the tramway
The track continued to the Allt Laire which had to be crossed to reach the forest road on the other side - but there was no bridge. Ah well .... my boots were wet anyway! I followed the road NW until it reached the corner of the plantation and open ground. From here I headed straight for the summit but the underfoot conditions and the terrain were some of the worst I had ever encountered: the ground was boggy and undulating, plunging down into deep dips and then back up steep sided foliage coated rises and try as I might I could find no other way. On the map, it's about 2kms but it seemed to take me ages.
P1010831.JPG
Heading over to Cnap Cruinn
It was now that the weather got worse and the higher I got, the visibility became non-existent. I was so frustrated that I merely touched the mass of the cairn and headed back down - no stopping at any point on this day! Even more annoyingly, the weather cleared(a bit) for a spell and I was able to look across Glen Spean to Creag Dhubh for a short while before it disappeared again.
P1010833.JPG
Looking over Glen Spean to Creag Dhubh
I got to the car, drove back to the hostel and had my lunch there - and had a good moan with my friends.
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Cnap Cruinn

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:31 pm

Got to agree with you on this one about the terrain. I did it as a plan b after failing to get up the neighbouring Munros
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland