walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

East Lomond overnighter

East Lomond overnighter

Postby Gable Gable End » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:31 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: East Lomond

Date walked: 20/02/2010

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 434m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

after watching my beloved team take a 4-0 thrashing at the hands of Elgin Bloody City; I checked the forecast and promptly decided to head off and do an overnighter somewhere close by. East Lomond was one which I thought would have some nice views in the morning! A pretty cold night at minus 11c and there was a fair bit of windchill too. Sadly I don't really have the cash to do lightweight and I parked up in Falkland and was away up the hill with tent, multiple clothings, bags, foods, waters, candles, book, gas, kitchen sink, mat, bull etc etc I never clocked *how* steep that climb would be and didn't pack accordingly and I swear my back was creaking on the ascent! As I was climbing up and talking to myself I seen a moving shadow with no light and assumed I was seeing a moving tree, turned out that someone else was up for the night, nice chap an all! We headed up the final climb together and took in the view and the cold wind. Then headed down off the summit and set up the tent and brew! Into bag and asleep around ten-ish and woke up at 5, couldnt really sleep anymore. On with the gas stove, wee brew and then up at 6ish to catch the sun coming up. Enjoyed this for a few hours and then packed up and headed home. Nice way to spend what could have been a miserable saturday night r.e. the footy!!

Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Re: East Lomond overnighter

Postby danrun » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:17 pm

some nice photos gable. i done both lomonds and bishops hill in mid january visibility for most of walk was at bout 50 metres!! was good walk tho. oh n it was'nt minus 11 thats cold..
danrun
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Lochivraon » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:01 pm

Aye, you have to be hardy being a Montrose supporter. What on earth do you do when they win???
Great idea, though; and I enjoyed the report. As a QoS supporter, I am totally with your philosophy of balancing fitba with stravaiging. :)
Lochivraon

Postby Gable Gable End » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:24 pm

Lochivraon wrote:Aye, you have to be hardy being a Montrose supporter. What on earth do you do when they win???
Great idea, though; and I enjoyed the report. As a QoS supporter, I am totally with your philosophy of balancing fitba with stravaiging. :)

:lol:

When we won our first and only league game of the season we celebrated by driving back from Berwick, phoning Jim Traynor to tell those old firm idiots that they didn't know the meaning of the word failure and then went for drinks and simply sat talking about the match all night, it was a wonderful feeling! Sadly I don't see it happening again for a while, we have your old mates Franchise FC this Sat. Still annoyed that we got lumbered with a full time team not that it makes much difference this season :(

You happy with your season so far (walking and footy ha!)
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland