walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creigh Hill in the Sunshine

Creigh Hill in the Sunshine

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Creigh Hill

Date walked: 08/09/2013

Time taken: 1.3 hours

Distance: 4 km

Ascent: 210m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had no plans for a walk this morning but waking up to bright sunshine changed my mind so I got the damp boots (still to dry out properly from Friday's walk on Ben Klibreck) out the boiler room and headed for Backwater Reservoir.

A beautiful morning with some heat in the sun for what would be a very short walk. I parked at the reservoir car park where there is loads of room.

1.jpg
Backwater Reservoir car park

Leaving the car park behind I followed the road over the dam with great views North up the loch.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg
Creigh Hill from the road

I had read various reports about this hill but in the end I decided to just take the plodders route straight up the hill from the far end of the dam. Initially I followed the tree line up the hill and then round to the right slightly before leaving the trees behind and heading straight up the hill again. Halfway I crossed a fence and just continued straight up the hill sometimes following a narrow track, sometimes plodding through heather and sometimes walking through wet grass and a lot of thistles.

6.jpg
Looking down to the reservoir

It took just over half an hour from the car park to the summit and with the sun shining and only a few clouds around the views were terrific.

7.jpg
Loch of Lintrathen

8.jpg
Looking down to Balintore Castle

11.jpg
Summit cairn with Mount Blair in the background

12.jpg
Looking down on Backwater Reservoir

I spent about 15 minutes at the top taking in the views before retracing my route back to the car only stopping for a couple of minutes on the dam road to take in the views .

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg
Creigh Hill from a few yards up the track on the West bank of Backwater Reservoir

It probably would have made sense to leave this hill for an after work walk or for the winter but that said I'm glad I did it on a good day to see the views from the top.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Creigh Hill in the Sunshine

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Hi Gordie, so you could not resist it!, what a day for the East coast squad. I went for a wee bike run, just purchased a folding bike from Angus Bike Chain, think it will come in very handy for the hills, just bag it and chuck it in the boot. Love your photographs of the reservoir, it's a nice wee hill, did you drop in for a cake and coffee at Peel farm? very tempting after a wee leg stretch. Hope you enjoyed the football the other night, I think progress is being made, the guys are wanting to fight for the cause, pity about the result. Bring on another couple of weeks like this! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:09 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:Hi Gordie, so you could not resist it!, what a day for the East coast squad. I went for a wee bike run, just purchased a folding bike from Angus Bike Chain, think it will come in very handy for the hills, just bag it and chuck it in the boot. Love your photographs of the reservoir, it's a nice wee hill, did you drop in for a cake and coffee at Peel farm? very tempting after a wee leg stretch. Hope you enjoyed the football the other night, I think progress is being made, the guys are wanting to fight for the cause, pity about the result. Bring on another couple of weeks like this! :D

Hi Rod

I had Hill of Wirren, Corwharn, Mile Hill and Creigh Hill of the Angus hills left to do so just went for CH and although short it was a nice hill. After Friday on Ben Klibreck it was just good to see some views again (and not need to have my Garmin at the ready to check every few minutes).

Hope you get good use out of the new bike, I've had a mountain bike for the best part of twenty years now and I've still to combine the bike with a hill climb - not sure why.

I read your report and the bit about Peel Farm but I was trying to get back for the grand prix so didn't stop.

I've heard a lot of criticism about the team since Friday night but I thought they played fairly well. I wish we had a better back four, I wish we had a couple of fast skilful centre forwards but it's international football so we can't go out and sign players where there is weakness - if only we could!

Currently an hour into wearing a new pair of boots around the house while I make plans for next weekend (if the weather is decent).
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:53 pm

What boots did you go for, the same or something different?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:34 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:What boots did you go for, the same or something different?

Andrea tells me I have more walking boots than Imelda Marcos has shoes :lol:

I've had various makes over the years but I seem to get on better with a cheaper manufacturer (Hi-TEC) than some of the more expensive ones out there. I bought the V-Lite SpHIKE MID which is a light boot and a cross between approach shoe and light walking boot. I bought the size 12's (a month ago), really comfy but a little bit too much space at the front of the boot so the toes suffer on the downhill bits as they are pushed to the front of the boot (I'm now minus two toe nails with another one looking a bit dodgy). I've now bought the size 11's that I'm wearing around the house to see if they are a better fit before I decide whether or not to keep them. I seem to have a choice between slightly big 12's or slightly tight 11's :? :?

What Andrea doesn't know (unless she reads this :shock: ) is that I'm now looking at the equivalent approach shoes for next summer.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland