walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Why does no-one tackle Sail Chaorain et al from the east?

Why does no-one tackle Sail Chaorain et al from the east?

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:45 pm

I am hoping to bag the three Munros and 5 tops between Loch Cluanie and Loch Affric (Carn Gluasaid to Tigh Mor na Seilge) sometime soon. A look at the 1:50,000 OS map suggests that an approach from the east (cycling up the valley of the river Doe) will a) be more scenic than the approach from the south and b) avoids the need for the 300m re-ascent back over Sgurr nan Conbhairean. However, no-one seems to recommend this route, with most opting for the out and back from the A87 and the normally-reliable Irvine Butterfield suggesting a crazy horseshoe from Alltbeithe YH.

So 2 questions:
Q1) Am I missing something? :? and
Q2) How far can you drive up the River Doe valley?

B-t-B
:-)
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Re: Why does no-one tackle Sail Chaorain et al from the east

Postby malky_c » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:09 am

Seems worth a look. I've been eyeing up the E ridge of Sail Coaorainn for some time now, although there are a couple of options available. The answer is probably that most people seem to like the shortest routes which take in the most Munros.

I doubt you can drive up the Doe any length, but I think it should be cycleable. In fact there is now a rougher ATV track all the way up Gleann Fada to Bealach an Amais. Never been up it, but looked down from the top of the glen.

Odd that Butterfield doesn't cover this side of the hill as he is normally pretty thorough. The horseshoe around Gleann na Ciche is much recommended though, if you can get to the start of it!
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion