walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Carn Aosda

Carn Aosda

Postby Iain.y » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:30 pm

I managed to complete the Glenshee 9 on Saturday in 10 hr 30 min and I have to admit it was tough. We got heavy rain, gail force winds, hail stones, baked by the sun & thunder and lightning all in that time. I suppose that’s just the good old Scottish weather for you. Anyway as we crossed the road and started to ascend Carn Aosda I noticed these small man made dykes with lots of Grass/moss on top and they were numbered most of the way up the hill. I have seen these in a few places, can anyone advise on what they are ?
Iain.y
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:14
Fionas:30   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:10   
Walk wish-list

Re: Carn Aosda

Postby GillC » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:48 pm

didn't think they shot so close to the ski areas. I don't remember seeing these , wouldn't have anything to do with preventing snow drifting?
:?
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby The Rodmiester » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:56 pm

That will be the Grouse Butts, grass on top to prevent damage to the guns!
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby garry the arab » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:19 pm

Iain.y wrote:I managed to complete the Glenshee 9 on Saturday in 10 hr 30 min and I have to admit it was tough. We got heavy rain, gail force winds, hail stones, baked by the sun & thunder and lightning all in that time. I suppose that’s just the good old Scottish weather for you. Anyway as we crossed the road and started to ascend Carn Aosda I noticed these small man made dykes with lots of Grass/moss on top and they were numbered most of the way up the hill. I have seen these in a few places, can anyone advise on what they are ?

They sound like grouse butts for shooting grouse culter fell has these to the top of fell shin.
garry the arab
Mountain Walker

Munros:112   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion