walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cona' Mheall

Cona' Mheall

Postby rob munbett » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:45 pm

Munros included on this walk: Cona' Mheall

Date walked: 10/09/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 22 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I drove round from Sail Mhor hostel to the walkers car park at Inverlael to start this one. I wanted a decent walk to test my knee a bit after surgery and recently I'd been sticking to shorter days. How would this go? I'd been up the track a few times previously but it never looks any shorter when one first sees Iorguill and Beinn Dearg away up Gleann na Sguaib. I noticed that there were new signs directing the walkers to Beinn Dearg - not sure how I feel about this!
P1010937.JPG
It's a long way in after the gate at the end of the forest
The track, though, is good and it climbs very gradually so I was able to maintain a reasonable pace but after a good while the col still seemed a good distance away.
P1010895.JPG
Still a long way!
Once across the the upper reaches of the River Lael and in amongst the lochans, one cannot help but be impressed by the dramatic surroundings - sheer walls of cliffs to the right and the Munro, Meall nan Ceapraichean, to the left - but the path zig-zags easily enough on to the flatter section of the col and the fantastic wall which heads up the NE ridge of Beinn Dearg.
col pan 1.JPG
The col
Today, however, I was heading over to Cona' Mheall across the head of the majestic Coire Ghranda which never fails to impress.
Coire Chrande pan.JPG
Coire Ghranda
On the way to the hill I more or less went over pt 886 and then had to descend a fair distance before climbing the final grassy slopes and boulder field to the summit ridge. On the return, it is easier to see a boggy, narrow by-pass track which contours under pt 886 on the south side.
Cona Mheall pan.JPG
Cona' Mheall
A faint track, intermittent in places, made a rising traverse to the SE to avoid the worst of the steepness and boulders but there was still a lot of ankle-bashing boulder hopping to do to reach the summit.
P1010917.JPG
The summit cairn and Beinn Dearg
I didn't linger long because there was a lengthy walk out but the views kept my interest and relieved my fatigue all the way to the forest road section and then it was just a case of auto-pilot to the car and the end of a most satisfactory day.
P1010930.JPG
The view of the walk out
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Cona' Mheall

Postby litljortindan » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Nice pictures of grand scenery and quite a test of your surgery! Been here from the south so interesting to see an alternative route in.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland