walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Stalking restrictions on the 2 Munros north of Rannoch

Stalking restrictions on the 2 Munros north of Rannoch

Postby Boris_the_Bold » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:23 am

Q1) Has anyone ever had any difficulty getting access to Carn Dearg and Sgor Gaibhre from Rannoch station, due to stalking?
Q2) Has anyone ever had any difficulty getting access to Carn Dearg and Sgor Gaibhre from Corrour station, due to stalking?
Q3) Does anyone know why the two relevant land-owners don't appear on the SNH Hillphones web-site :?

BtB
Boris_the_Bold
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:38
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:8   Islands:32

Re: Stalking restrictions on the 2 Munros north of Rannoch

Postby Mountain Sloth » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:04 pm

I climbed these 2 from Rannoch about a month ago so might be able to help with part 2. There was a sign at the start of the estate road advising walkers to follow the signs to minimise disturbance - unfortunately there was nothing else (a map for example...) that could have helped. Anyway, the 'signs' consisted of large arrows that periodically appeared at branches in the road/track. The arrows appeared to be sending me up the (good) track to the West of Carn Dearg that would eventually take me to Corrour, obviously this didn't help my quest to climb the hills! When I reached the highest point on the track I rebelled and took a fairly straight line up onto the ridge. I stayed on the ridge for the full round (including Beinn Pharlagain) and made a quick descent to the Glen at the end of the day - seemed a fairly reasonable approach given the lack of instructions.

I've not been from Corrour but met a couple of walkers at the summit of Sgor Gaibhre who'd come that way and met a stalker. Apparently he was very helpful and said that the stalking wouldn't interfere with their route (they too were sticking to the ridge as much as possible).

Can't comment on Q3...
Mountain Sloth
Munro compleatist

Munros:275   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Can 0f Airy » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 pm

Coincidentally I was just browsing here for some information on the etiquette of approaching estates as I'm looking at doing these particular hills from Corrour tomorrow. If estates don't publish stalking details or subscribe to hillphones then is it okay just to phone them?
Can 0f Airy

Munros:197   Corbetts:13

Postby Mountain Sloth » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:16 pm

I've 'cold-called' estates in the past and they've always been helpful in my experience - I think they do appreciate walkers making the effort. The estate stalker at corrour sounded pretty helpful so, if you can find the number, I'd give them a call - it can make for a more relaxing day to know that you've done your best to avoid upsetting the estates.
Mountain Sloth
Munro compleatist

Munros:275   Corbetts:4
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Sgurr » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:32 pm

This is their website. Seems to be a Tel. No.

http://www.corrour.co.uk/
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Backpacker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:48 pm

I've spoken to the estates on a number of occasions and they've been fine to deal with. All they ask is that during the stalking season is that walkers stick to the main routes.

I have no issue with this
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:117
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby ballarat » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:34 pm

corrour estate is definately walker/climber/camper/traveller/fisherman friendly :clap: :clap:
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Postby Can 0f Airy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:44 pm

They were indeed very helpful and friendly. They only offer the general advice of sticking to main routes, shoulders and ridges as their stalking plans can change at short notice mainly due to changes in weather and wind direction.

Just in case, I won't be wearing my antlered hat.
Can 0f Airy

Munros:197   Corbetts:13

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion