walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Middlefield Law and Nutberry Hill

Middlefield Law and Nutberry Hill

Postby rob munbett » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Middlefield Law, Nutberry Hill

Date walked: 29/09/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

To be honest, you've got to live locally or be a bit of an enthusiast to walk these hills because they take a bit of effort but neither the walking nor the summit views are all that inspiring. Nonetheless, it was a bright and breezy Sunday morning when I found a suitable parking space by a gate on the west side of the B743 at the Head of Greenock Water (NS690314). The route on the map looked easy enough but the nature of the terrain made both hills much more of an effort than expected. I went through the gate towards Middlefield Law first and straight away was confronted by a landscape of clumps, tussocks, bog and drainage ditches ..... mmmm, lovely!
P1010942.JPG
Rough terrain on Middlefield Law
I expected the ground to improve as I got higher but really it didn't.
P1010938.JPG
Approaching the summit of Middlefield Law
I reached the summit and had a look around. I could see over to Nutberry Hill, my next objective, and south to Cairn Table, a hill from a few weeks ago, but that was it. A cold wind was blowing so there was no hanging around - I just headed straight back down to the car.
P1010940.JPG
The summit of Middlefield Law looking over to Nutberry Hill
I stopped briefly at the car to replenish my water bottle and crossed the road to go through the gate at the start to the rough road beside the Dippal Burn. This was very easy walking and very pleasant in the warm sunshine. This road ended after about 3km and the map showed that I should head for a gap in the forest around Nutberry Hill so it was back on very similar terrain - wet bog, deep tussocks and tall reeds. I dropped down to follow the Leeze Burn and found easier going on some sheep tracks close to the meandering water but it was still pretty awkward.
P1010947.JPG
Beside the Leeze Burn looking back towards Middlefield Law
Eventually I was approaching the gap in the forest - not far now!
P1010948.JPG
Approaching the gap in the trees
I went over a fence and after a few hundred metres crossed the forest road I was expecting to find. I walked through a small quarry-type area and back up on to the heathery moorland. The summit was still over a km away but the going was made slightly easier by some vehicle tracks.
P1010949.JPG
The distant trig of Nutberry Hill
I reached the summit and, after a bite of lunch, had a little wander around to find some decent views but I was not impressed - looking back over to Middlefield Law was as good as it got.
P1010951.JPG
The summit of Nutberry Hill looking over towards Middlefield Law
I considered going back over Priesthill Height to see the Martyrs Grave monument but after having had a look at the terrain I decided to stick to the devil I knew and headed back down the route of ascent, again following the sheep tracks as often as I could. It was with some relief that I reached the head of the road and the 'easy' 3 km stroll back to the car - but there were more steepish ascents than I remembered from the way in. Frankly, not hills I'd do again but I enjoyed the physical challenge, the route finding and the sleep that night.
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Middlefield Law and Nutberry Hill

Postby Graeme D » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:11 am

Cheers Rob - very useful information for me. I am planning a few days walking around Muirkirk next summer to mark the 100th anniversary of the birth of my grandfather, who spent most of his life in Muirkirk and passed away last year. He was a great walker and instilled that in me too, often taking me on walks and fishing trips on the moors around the village when I was a lad. I may even have climbed Middlefield Law before, but have definitely walked on its slopes if not been right at the summit trig. My main focus next summer would probably be to the south of the village but if I could fit these in too it would be great. Your report will be helpful. Thanks.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Middlefield Law and Nutberry Hill

Postby wjshaw2 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:44 am

Yes, these hills are indeed a different sort of beautiful. Underfoot conditions do make them a bit of a slog, but there's a joy to be found in that too...sometimes.
wjshaw2
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:65
Fionas:65   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:164   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:15   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland