walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello from the Highlands and a Stupid Question!

Hello from the Highlands and a Stupid Question!

Postby lisablair1980 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:55 pm

Hello all. I started out with a bit of hillwalking early last year when I took on the mighty Cairngorm. After providing many tourists with some unexpected entertainment (largely me trying to make it up final ascent) I finally reached my goal and felt absolutely amazing. I've been hoping to become a bit of a "bagger" but due to illness, family commitments and being a bit of a fair weather walker I've not really managed much since. I've been doing a wee loop recently near the house just to build up my strength and I am aiming to take on the Lost Glen in Glencoe on Sunday. My next goal after that is Ben Wyvis. I've been looking at various reports from other walkers everytime I plan a route and find all your feedback invaluable. There really is no substitute for first hand experience. :clap:

Now for the stupid question. I am never going to make it as a climber, I'll never be strong enough, but is it possible to summit all the Munro's without climbing. Is there a way to walk to the top of them all??? :lol: I hear you all laugh, if it was easy we would all do it but it would be nice to know if I have a chance....

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Lisa
lisablair1980
Hill Bagger

Munros:3   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   
Islands:11

Re: Hello from the Highlands and a Stupid Question!

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:13 pm

I think the only one that must involve climbing is the Inaccessable Pinnacle on Skye, I'm not even sure of it is the summit. Though of course the Black Cuillin can give anyone the collywobbles! Enjoy...
December 2010 Black Cuillin Skye.jpg

In Pinn December 2010.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby rocket-ron » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:34 pm

Hello Lisa
Another walker from inverness.. Welcome to walk highlands
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby flipside » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

hallo and welcome

no such a thing as a daft question :crazy:, inn pinn gives me the okie boakie at the thought :shock:
flipside
Wanderer

Munros:235   Corbetts:2
Fionas:6   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:33   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:18   Islands:23

Postby North East Loun » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:17 pm

The Inaccessible Pinnacle is certainly one where you would want a rope (which is why I haven't done it yet - still not sure I have the courage). I used a rope doing Am Basteir from the bad step up to the summit. There are others where you will want to scramble up using hands and feet, but there's a large number where you just put one foot in front of the other and walk. It's a great way to see some beautiful parts of the country (providing it's not clagged in to ground level of course - you'll get plenty of that as well).
North East Loun
Munro compleatist

Munros:276   Corbetts:31
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:55   

Postby SwaleyP » Thu Oct 17, 2013 2:40 am

Hello Lisa,

From reading the general comments on this. I can certainly tell you that the Cuillen are not for the faint hearted,

I have completed all bar 3 of the Cuillen. Just Am Bastier, Gillean & Sgurr Dubh Mor to complete. Inn Pin is hair raising, but not as terriifying as you would imagine even if you are roped up..

Being a new walker, DONT be put off by what is expected on the toughest, it comes with practice and experience..

Whe I first started going up hills, i did it for fitness and to over come vertigo.. Whe I first tried the Cuillen, it terrified me..

Give it give and build up. Get used to hill walking first, try 30-40...

Then think on something like Ben Nevis's CMD, then maybe the Ring of Steele. these are exposure challenges, so go in a group which helps greatly.. You'll soon want to try a decent scramble/climb.. No need to run before you walk..

Best wishes
Pete
SwaleyP
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...