walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

a good hill for a bad back

a good hill for a bad back

Postby litljortindan » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:08 pm

Date walked: 06/10/2013

Time taken: 1 hours

Distance: 2 km

Ascent: 100m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Had a back/disc problem since mid September, sometimes wondering if I'll ever recover my former walking stamina. Decided to try out a small walk after a couple of physio sessions that have put me near to my normal shape.
Fourman Hill proved ideal with its easy gradient and trainer friendly, soft going.
Now at home though as a follow up physio appointment has indicated a need to focus on recovery with more intensive exercise and minimal sitting. Fingers crossed...

Believe it or not, my very modest hillwalking ambition for this year was simply to climb a hill of any description each month. Almost scuppered in April by lethargy but I made it to the bump of Burnswark then almost scuppered in July by hayfever induced asthma. Now this! Aghhhh! Planning for something easy around Nov 30/ Dec 1st.

DSCN1289v2.jpg
Knock Hill from near the start
DSCN1295v2.jpg
Ben Rinnes
DSCN1296v2.jpg
Ben Rinnes zoom
DSCN1297v2.jpg
The Buck zoom
DSCN1308v2.jpg
looking east on the way down
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Re: a good hill for a bad back

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi litljortindan

I've only suffered from a bad back a couple of times and on neither occasion could I have climbed a hill - good effort and best of luck with the recuperation.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby alfredo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:24 am

Well done. :clap: Hope you get better soon. :)
alfredo
Mountain Walker

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   

Postby bar72 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:14 am

litljortindan, can fully sympathise with the back problem as i have a disc bulge in L4 lower lumbar. Is a crippling thing and am in pain on a daily basis for last few years now. I find that if i just remain mindful i can do a healthy days walking without the pain getting worse, although, usually it niggles me a bit more the next day. I was on Dyhydrocodeine for 9 years with it and doing no exercise and it never got better. Since starting hill bagging last year, i now hardly ever take pain killers for it and can manage the pain through excercise. Each case of back pain is different but well done on doing something about it :clap:
bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:194
Fionas:74   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby litljortindan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:58 pm

Gordie12 wrote:Hi litljortindan

I've only suffered from a bad back a couple of times and on neither occasion could I have climbed a hill - good effort and best of luck with the recuperation.

Thanks. I felt not bad on that day and then one hour in the car going to work next day undid all that.
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:59 pm

alfredo wrote:Well done. :clap: Hope you get better soon. :)

Thank you. Another four weeks hopefully...
litljortindan
Ambler

Postby litljortindan » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:03 pm

bar72 wrote:litljortindan, can fully sympathise with the back problem as i have a disc bulge in L4 lower lumbar. Is a crippling thing and am in pain on a daily basis for last few years now. I find that if i just remain mindful i can do a healthy days walking without the pain getting worse, although, usually it niggles me a bit more the next day. I was on Dyhydrocodeine for 9 years with it and doing no exercise and it never got better. Since starting hill bagging last year, i now hardly ever take pain killers for it and can manage the pain through excercise. Each case of back pain is different but well done on doing something about it :clap:

Sorry to hear you've had it so bad over a long time but good that walking is helping. Pain is coming and going for me. My legs just won't do what I want them to though and I still have odd distortions here and there. Physio has me off work for two days just now wiith no sitting, eight half press ups every hour and otherwise standing, walking or lying face down.
litljortindan
Ambler

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland