walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Manor Glen.

The Manor Glen.

Postby Benaden887 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:53 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Dun Rig

Donalds included on this walk: Black Law, Cramalt Craig, Dollar Law, Dun Rig, Greenside Law

Date walked: 27/08/2013

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 18 km

Ascent: 974m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday found me walking some of the Manor hills - from Black Law down across the Meggat right of way - over Greenside Law and Notman Law to the Thieves road - Dun Law to Cromalt Craig - once a Corbett - then back and on to Dollar Law. As I rested beside the trig point to refuel, the rain clouds gathered and the extra three hours to cover the Pykestone three did not appeal so I headed down for the car. The weather- misty to start then sunshine, a stiff breeze which I enjoyed and great views when the clag faded giving to haze by the time I reached Dun Law - the going was rough to start, boggy in places but easier on the second half of my day. Seen enroute - umpteen grouse, the early fox that stopped while crossing the road and as I braked gave me a nod of thanks and was gone into the hedgerow.
More grouse - brown hares - Buzzards - roadkill badgers - five off !! - a heron fishing the burn with gulls and crows mobbing each time he/it caught a fish and the Buzzard atop a telegraph pole watching me change and stash my gear in the car. Apart from the flies, no midges or ticks so hey - I had a great day.
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Last edited by Benaden887 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Benaden887
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:153   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:46
Wainwrights:39   
Walk wish-list

Re: The Manor Glen.

Postby gaffr » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Manor valley was the start to one of our earlist walks when at school '57. :) Bus from the city to Peebles then on the road to Manor valley. Passing Bowed Davies wee house... a character, The Black Dwarf, used by Walter Scott in one of his stories.
I think that we thought, at the time, that Broad Law was the big hill in the South. Anyway camped above Manorhead .....Dun Law, Cramalt Craig and Broad Law then down to Talla Linnfoots and bus back home from Tweedsmuir. A fine wee taste of the hills beyond the Pentlands! :)
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland