walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cefn yr Ystrad

Cefn yr Ystrad

Postby The_Greenman2000 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:42 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Cefn yr Ystrad

Date walked: 21/10/2013

Time taken: 3

Distance: 10.6 km

Ascent: 429m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I had half a days walking left so I thought I'd take in this, rather dull looking top just north of Merthyr.
I parked up the north side of Pontsticill Reservior and walk around to the bridal path of the east of the water, which followed the mountain railway line. From here it looked like a good public right of way through the forrest and accross to the path which leads up to the old quarry.
The path up through the woods was well defined, but narrow, over grown and exceedlingly wet. It also looked like it was a maountain bike trail, so be warned. When I broke clear of the trees I was expecting to head up to the top of a field (according to the map), however no such field seemed to exist and the bridal path over to the far side of the river was indiscernable. So I winged it accross some rubbish terraine just to reach the far side and join the quarry path. I then slowly left the path gradually gaining height up the gentle limestone escarpment until I eventually reached the upper quarry path. The quarry itself was quite some hole in the ground, stretching along the side of the mountain, and was very eerie. Finally I pushed up to the top where I could see the trig.

Cefn yr Ystrad2.jpg
Cefn yr Ystrad

Where, on the map, this looks quite an amazingly dull peak, theres actually quite a lot to recommend it. Sure theres no dramatic rock face, or ridge, but the views are great, the quarry spooky, the cairns dramatic and interesting, plus there are a few morn modern wooden crosses (the reason for being theres has been weathered away).

The journy back involved pretty much retracing my footprints. I did drop down to the quarry path sooner than I left it so as to find the 'inscribed stone'. From there I was able to find the initially hidden bridal path, more obviously marching its dark brown scar up over the morass. If you follow this back the route is much more discernable. I should like to point out though that the path isnt quite as marked on the 1:25000 map and does not go through the open field as marked, but enters the forrest through a wall some 50m further west.

Enjoy, its not as bad as it looks
The_Greenman2000
Munro compleatist

Munros:61   
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:91
Wainwrights:37   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland