walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cruach Tairbeirt

Cruach Tairbeirt

Postby john » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:41 pm

Route description:

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Cruach Tairbeirt

Date walked: 08/03/2010

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Well, for some years I have found the motivation to get out on the hills difficult. I can blame age, health, work.........laziness. A whole load of reasons but the simple fact is that, I find it difficult to just get out there. Now just in case you think I have always been this way, look at my Munro count. There was a time about ten years ago when I could not be found at home on a free day!
So, today I decided to go for a stroll up a small hill that I have often admired when driving along the road from Ardgartan to Arrochar. It is one of those hills that you just know will offer fantastic views and, hopefully, not involve too much effort. And then, you see that it is completely covered by forest on the lower reaches. However, I had read a couple of reviews that suggested there are indeed routes through the forest. So, with the wife encouraging me again to get out and get some fresh air, I thought I would try this.
The guides suggest that you pretty quickly experience a sharp pull up from the station when heading for the hill. And indeed you do! Now ten years ago, I am sure that I wouldn't have thought anything of this......and most others would think of this simply as some moderate exercise. Quickly, I encountered that recurrent dilemma......where is the hill path??? After fording a stream, across from a waymarker, I decided that I had found it and set off up through the forest with a stream to my side. Shortly, I was up at the snow line and wondering which branch through the forest I should take? Surely not the boggy one that looked like a forest drain? No, it must be the slightly drier route that curiously led through some unbroken trees and branches. I suppose, that should have been an indication that I was on the wrong route. Anyway, I eventually, came out of the forest and into the clearing. The snow was at that stage which I remember with much distress. Hard crust with a soft centre! Every step promised to support my weight then cruelly gave way plunging me up to my knees. When not ploughing through the snow, I was clambering over deep heather and clumpy grass.
At this point, I started to wonder if my wife of 32 years really still loved me. She who cannot be persuaded to attempt even the most gradual incline, should be made to experience this. Maybe then she would leave me alone at home to play guitar and wastefully browse the internet. I cursed myself - for whatever reason it has been - for allowing myself to become so unfit. Anyway, slowly but slowly I crawled my way to the summit and plonked myself at the trig pillar.
The views were as I had hoped and every mountain was clear and covered in snow. I had made it......even if it was only a small hill.
On the way down, I coasted down hard snow and some ice, the route down and through the trees was much clearer and easier than the detour I had taken. I paused at the small stream to enjoy my apple and listen to the birds.
It was a great day and once the aches and pains subside, I will enjoy the endorphins and the warm glow that they bring.
For a quick day out and regarding views, consider this hill. For the fantastically fit you will achieve it in a dawdle!
Last edited by john on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
john
Walker

Munros:209   Corbetts:32
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:9   

Re: Cruach Tairbeirt

Postby agentmancuso » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:48 pm

It's a great little hill with fabulous views. Here's a couple of pictures I took in November 2006 of Ben Lomond and The Cobbler from the summit of Cruach Tairbeirt.

agentmancuso
Mountain Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:33
Fionas:50   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:153   Hewitts:42
Wainwrights:20   Islands:5

Postby john » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 pm

Thanks, agentmancuso. Great images. here are some of the ones that I managed to take today between gasping for air!

john
Walker

Munros:209   Corbetts:32
Fionas:11   
Sub 2000:9   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:38 am

I can relate to the "getting out there" thing. A couple of years ago I had a real issue with this - it's too cold/warm/wet/dark/far etc etc etc. I still suffer from what the Happy Mondays called Lazyitis as I don't like getting out of bed before 10am! Roll on BST so I can lie in and hit the hills :D
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby hills » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:04 pm

:lol: The joys of sub2 navigation, such fun, enjoyed your report and can sympathise. Neat hill, must check this out. :D
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby mountain coward » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 am

LeithySuburbs wrote:I can relate to the "getting out there" thing. A couple of years ago I had a real issue with this - it's too cold/warm/wet/dark/far etc etc etc. I still suffer from what the Happy Mondays called Lazyitis as I don't like getting out of bed before 10am! Roll on BST so I can lie in and hit the hills :D

Well I'm definitely not daytime-way round so it can be awkward for me too... that's why I'm Munro (and now Corbett) bagging - gives me the impetus to kick myself out of bed and go and do them... But I never set off early so I too am looking forward to longer days... There are those who say I'm missing the best part of the day but I think evenings and sunsets are just as scenic and enjoyable as mornings (when I feel dreadful) and sunrises. Also, if I get up too early and set off walking, I'm so knackered I just go slower and take a few hours longer to get round so it's pretty pointless really...

The one thing I really can't see the point in when travelling up to somewhere for a few days to walk the mountains is getting up so early you've got far too much day left when you get back... Then what you gonna do? spend lots of money that's what... and eat far too much! :lol:
mountain coward

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland