walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hi.looking for any help

Hi.looking for any help

Postby Ken8249 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:50 pm

Hi, I'm climbing Ben Nevis next year as part of a challenge.i have been there before but never climbed it so looking for any help or advise on things like route,how long to allow for the climb,best place to park etc. hope to hear from someone soon.cheers
Ken8249
Mountaineer

Re: Hi.looking for any help

Postby Arthurs Eat » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:47 am

Hi Ken, I think firstly you have to think about time. The most popular 'tourist track' takes about 7 hours from the car park from start to finish(there's a huge car park at the bottom of the tourist track). There are a number more challenging routes but as your doing a challenge, unless it concerns more challenging routes that is the more usual route. Think carefully about kit as it can be wild and very cold up there at any time of year regardless of conditions at the car park. Apart from that enjoy!
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby laconic surf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi ken,
This is the standard pony track route up.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/fortwilliam/bennevis.shtml

It gives you a route description and where to park etc. if you are not used to climbing/hiking I would veer towards the slower route time ie 9 hours possibly more. If your fitness is good then you may be quicker but best to allow plenty of time. Even if you go up there in summer you will be over 4,000 feet up take a fleece or jumper it can get very chilly. Also make sure you have plenty of fluids and some food to keep you going.
The top of the Ben is clear roughly once every 10 days so pray to the weather gods and have fun. (Also bring any food wrappers etc down with you, the summit can be a midden at the end of the tourist season :wink: )
Good luck with your challenge :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby Ken8249 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:13 pm

Thanks a lot for the tips much appreciated.how easy is it to navigate the tourist track,I'm guessing it must be marked or the path/route is fairly visible as it's called the tourist track?!
Ken8249
Mountaineer

Postby North East Loun » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:17 am

The tourist route is pretty obvious in good visibility, but if the top is clouded over there can be navigation issues. You have to be careful not to head off into a gully. I always think "tourist route" is a bad description as it encourages people to think they can wander up there unprepared. I have seen folk with T shirts and flip-flops. OK, it was a fine summer's day, but the weather can change. When I went up there I took the longer route round by Carn Mor Dearg and the arete, which actually is a much better walk as you can see the true greatness of the Ben's north east face. I had sunshine all the way round, but just as I arrived on top of the Ben, the mist rolled in and I saw nothing. It became very chilly too. So enjoy the walk, it's a lovely mountain, but give it respect - it's a big hill.
North East Loun
Munro compleatist

Munros:276   Corbetts:31
Fionas:9   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:26   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:55   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...