walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean

Stob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean

Postby yokehead » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:34 pm

Route description: Stob Ban (Mamores) and Mullach nan Coirean

Munros included on this walk: Mullach nan Coirean, Stob Bàn (Mamores)

Date walked: 04/02/2010

Distance: 12.9 km

Ascent: 1153m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

g39.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

There was space to park just over the bridge at Polldubh, next to a Plas y Brenin minibus, they seem to have taken over the Highlands! I could see the group going up the north ridge of Stob Ban, I decided upon the ordinary footpath route. This is a great walk up the glen, there were no footprints before me.
Picture 005 (Medium).jpg
path & Stob Ban ahead

The path was banked out with snow in places and the hills ahead looked plastered and potentially dangerous.
Picture 010 (Medium).jpg
moody Stob Ban

Picture 011 (Medium).jpg
banked out path & Stob Ban

This is a grand setting with an increasingly dramatic sight ahead as you ascend, emphasised by the snow and frost and looking particularly alpine to the east.
Picture 018 (Medium).jpg
plastered to the east

Instead of climbing straight ahead across the final steeper and perhaps unstable slope to the ridgeline I took a curved rising traverse across rockier ground to the west, meeting the ridge closer to Stob Ban.
Picture 015 (Medium).jpg
traversing onto the ridge

I was surprised at how steep the final ascent looked to be, exciting-looking along the edge of the cliffs.
Picture 022 (Medium).jpg
the climb ahead

Still no footprints, I was the first this way today. I took my time to savour the climb bit by bit to the summit. The snow was mostly soft, not having consolidated yet from the fall a couple of days ago.
Picture 025 (Medium).jpg
all alone

Picture 028 (Medium).jpg
move on up

Picture 041 (Medium).jpg
getting closer

Picture 039 (Medium).jpg
the Ben

Picture 042 (Medium).jpg
Devil's Ridge

Still blue sky but high cloud was gradually drawing in and the light was becoming flatter. Just below the summit I detoured slightly to climb a 2 metre high vertical bank, just a bit of snowy nonsense!
Picture 044 (Medium).jpg
my snow bank

At the summit now, I’d been there just 60 seconds when the Plas y Brenin group arrived. We all had a bite to eat and I had a chat with a few of them. One of the group appeared surprised that I was out on the hill solo and asked whether I was concerned about the risks. Well, most of my hill days, started 18 months ago, have been solo and in winter.

Part of the group decided to go back down the route I’d ascended, others went for the route I was about to follow. I didn’t want to leave just yet and besides, they could break trail! So I followed a bit later, soon taking off the crampons since the snow was so soft on the rocky terrain. The route starts with a descent then ups and downs along the excellent ridge.
Picture 047 (Medium).jpg
onward ridge from Stob Ban

Picture 049 (Medium).jpg
PYB on the horizon

There are a couple of scrambly sections to add additional interest.
Picture 057 (Medium).jpg
rocky fun

Whilst walking the ridge the cloud cover became complete and started to lower so I upped the pace. Just after I reached the summit of Mullach nan Coirean a gale came as if from nowhere, instantly blowing up huge clouds of spindrift and blocking out visibility.
Picture 060 (Medium).jpg
wind about to hit

But I was prepared and within 5 minutes of descending the north ridge I was out of it.
Picture 061 (Medium).jpg
starting down

The descent in the snow was fast and easy, the purgatory started below the snowline down a steep tussocky section that was covered with ice in many places. Not nice.
Picture 066 (Medium).jpg
the nasty bit, doesn't look too bad

Over the stile this is followed by a grim boggy trek through the trees, before things become better down to a forest track then a final lovely path through the trees back to Polldubh. An excellent day out with many different points of interest, highly recommended.
Last edited by yokehead on Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Re: Stob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean

Postby skye2304 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:43 pm

Hi,
Enjoyed the write-up.
We did this walk in reverse, a couple of April's ago, with very similar weather.
That bit thru the trees and onto the ridge of Mullach was awful but the rest of the walk makes up for it.
Stob Ban is a wonderful mountain and that rocky bit on the NE ridge can be a bit tricky when iced.
We got to the top just a a very heavy snow shower hit. Made the descent a bit awkward to find. A case of trusting one's compass.
I agree, a great walk, especially when the snows down.
Attachments
DSC02639.JPG
The Ridge between Stob Ban and Mullach nan Coirean. April 08
skye2304
Mountain Walker

Munros:90   
Hewitts:127
Wainwrights:169   

Re: Stob Ban & Mullach nan Coirean

Postby Milesy » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:25 am

Fantastic winter outing! Winter visit to the Stob Ban ridge is on my to do list.
Milesy
Stravaiging

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland