walkhighlands

To make the forum a bit more social... for new members (and old ones!) to introduce themselves to the site. You are welcome!

Hello!

Hello!

Postby samwhyte » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi there

I'm a 26-year-old based in Edinburgh (Portobello). I've moved onto hill-walking and Munro-bagging from a past of walking and hiking - although with a hectic work-life I don't get to escape the office and get into the mountains as often as i'd like.

The aim - along with everyone elses I imagine - is to spend the years to come climbing Scotland's mountains and seeing more of the great country while I do it. So far, my favourite areas i've visited are Glen Etive/ the Fort William area and Morar... it seems the west is definitely where it's at - there's nothing up north except heathland!

So far (including walks, hills and mountains) I've done what I would imagine are the usuals - The Merrick, Galloway Forest, The Pentlands (literally dozens of times as it's on my doorstep), Goatfell, Ben Hope and Ben Nevis (which managed in 2hrs 26mins - it WAS the pony track but it was to show that although i'm new to tackling Munros I'm not a complete duffer! haha!)

As i'm not yet overly experienced with winter walks i'll be sticking to the Pentlands and similar trails in the meantime and pick things back up Munro-wise again next year.

My targets for next year are Stac Pollaidh, An Teallach, Buchaile Etive Mor, Schiehallion, Ben Lomond and the Cuillins to name but a few.

But I'm also hoping to get into actual climbing (ropes, harnesses, etc) - I'm therefore looking to join a club/group who will be able to help with the correct training/guidance and then team up on future climbs.

I'd love to meet someone/people in the Edinburgh area who share my thoughts and would be up for teaming up for a few walks (but we'll go for a drink first though or something and get to know each other!)

Cheers everyone, speak to you's soon!

Sam
samwhyte

Re: Hello!

Postby SuperMillie » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:32 pm

Hi Sam and welcome to WH

You’ll find that most people on here are like minded and share your thoughts outdoors, whether from Edinburgh or further afield.

If you have a walk in mind that you’d like to do, it might be worth posting it in the meeting up section at the time, I’m sure you’re likely to get plenty of offers.

Alternatively, check in the same section for any advertised that you fancy, there’s always someone going somewhere….

Good luck and look forward to hearing about your walks

supermilie
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Re: Hello!

Postby Arthurs Eat » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:08 am

Hi Sam, as you might guess from the moniker, I dont live too far from you. I'm interested in developing climbing in particular although my age is surely catching up with me :( . I would to start a fairly regular visit to Ratho or Alien Rock to build on my limited climbing experience this winter. Maybe catch up sometime?
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:17   Donalds:38
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Say hello...