walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Step in crampons popping off

Step in crampons popping off

Postby chompish » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:46 am

Hi all,

Looking for some help trying to figure out what's wrong with my boot/crampon setup that is causing them to pop off.

I currently have a pair of Northface S4K GTX boots and a set of old style step in crampons.

I've adjusted them to be a tight fit to the boot and the rear clip does "click" as you engage it.

They plagued me on saturday - foiling my attempts to summit Ben Vorlich - popping off every couple of steps.

Do i need to get different crampons? or do i just need to adjust them further? any help would be great.
chompish
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:10   

Re: Step in crampons popping off

Postby claytonm » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:42 am

Hi Chompish,

I can't comment on what you are currently using but I have the same boots and use black diamond serac c2 (clip) crampons and have never had any issues.

If you can't resolve the problem your boot is a b2 so will take any c2 crampon such as the grivel g12 also.
claytonm
Munro compleatist

Munros:103   

Postby Andy Dog » Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:45 am

Hi

Is it possible to post a couple of photos of the crampon on the boot?

Also I assume it pops off at the heal. I have a pair of crampons and boots that don't match well. I would usually have them pop off about once a day (so not quite as bad as yours). I solved it by gaffer taping a bottle top to the top of the heal clip. This stopped it pulling in so tight against the boot and making the clip slip off the bottom.

I am not sure if they are still set up like this but I'll dig them out tonight and if they are, post a photo to show you what I mean.

Andy
Andy Dog
Stravaiging

Postby chompish » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:53 am

Thanks Clayton, I am prepared to have to buy another set as i think these may just not fit properly so thanks for the recommendation, good to know what definitely works. Also, you must be the only other person I know of that has a pair of these boots :shock:

Andy, I'll get some pictures later tonight/tomorrow. They appeared to be coming off at the front but can't say 100% as i was concentrating on getting a good grip on the ice axe in case they fell off. I suspect the front bar that attaches to the boot is not quite high enough so doesn't secure properly above the sole, causing it to slip off when front pointing.
chompish
Mountaineer

Postby jmarkb » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:18 pm

Those boots don't look like they are designed to take a front bail attachment. I think a new pair of crampons will be in order, I'm afraid. :( A step in binding with a front basket should work fine, but it is definitely worth taking the boots along to the shop to make sur eyou get something that fits well.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Michael Thomson » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:19 pm

I'm pretty sure they don't have a front step for a bale. I'm intrigued as to how you are attaching said crampons. Photies would help.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby chompish » Mon Nov 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Picures as requested.

They are a solid fit and can walk around the house no problem in them, but I think the suggestions of the front step for the bale are correct and that is the issue.
chompish
Mountaineer

Postby claytonm » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:10 pm

That doesn't look very secure at the toe!! :shock:
claytonm
Munro compleatist

Munros:103   

Postby chompish » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:15 pm

claytonm wrote:That doesn't look very secure at the toe!! :shock:

It doesn't, does it? You can't budge them though, it's locked hard.
chompish
Mountaineer

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:15 am

You see those bits that stick up at each side? They should hold rings which in turn anchor straps. Your crampons are missing some straps. And possibly a Scotch Ring (Toe Ring).
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby chompish » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:00 am

Caberfeidh wrote:You see those bits that stick up at each side? They should hold rings which in turn anchor straps. Your crampons are missing some straps. And possibly a Scotch Ring (Toe Ring).

Now that makes sense!

do you mean like this?
chompish
Mountaineer

Postby basscadet » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:24 am

I think if you had straps you might be able to make them stay on, but I think those crampons are designed for a B2 boot, and those ones you have are maybe B0 rated max? Look very similar to Dougies new boots anyway..
The B2 boots have a moulded bit front and back to take the wire at the front, and the clip at the back :?
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby tenohfive » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:42 am

basscadet wrote:I think if you had straps you might be able to make them stay on, but I think those crampons are designed for a B2 boot, and those ones you have are maybe B0 rated max? Look very similar to Dougies new boots anyway..
The B2 boots have a moulded bit front and back to take the wire at the front, and the clip at the back :?

They are a B2 boot. According to the OP and a couple of other websites anyway.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby chompish » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:53 am

tenohfive wrote:
basscadet wrote:I think if you had straps you might be able to make them stay on, but I think those crampons are designed for a B2 boot, and those ones you have are maybe B0 rated max? Look very similar to Dougies new boots anyway..

They are a B2 boot. According to the OP and a couple of other websites anyway.

Correct, the boots are B2 rated. I found the picture of the boots with the straps on Google to avoid any confusion :)
chompish
Mountaineer

Postby BigT » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Was that Vorlich (Loch Earn) last weekend? I chucked it early as i had some blister problems from Fridays walking, but I had just planned to make the most of it in my B2's. I had no crampons at all. Any photos?
BigT
Mountaineer

Munros:9   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk