walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Amazing Day on Ben More in perfect winter weather :)

Amazing Day on Ben More in perfect winter weather :)

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 10/11/2013

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1334m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Ben More and Stob Binnein

The Winter had arrived early with snow falling throughout the week, however the forecast for the weekend was to be bright and showery on Saturday then mild and windy on Sunday. Unfortunately I could only do Sunday due to other commitments and thus my thoughts of a trip into the snowy mountains seemed slim and perhaps a bit slushy and wet – However! -come Friday afternoon and another check on MWIS and a squint at the Met Office suggested hope – lots of hope. It seemed the Atlantic front was delayed due to a slight ridge of High pressure – happy days. As the weekend approached and Saturday went by, the forecast just got better and better!! Sunday was now the day to be in the hills –perfect.

My friend had back surgery a couple of months ago and this was to be his first outing, Ben More was chosen as his come back mountain, and with the weather looking tremendous, this could be a good day!

Anyway Sunday arrived and three of us met at Ben More Farm and we were off by 08.30. The weather was glorious - small patches of cloud amongst mainly blue skies. The snow line was relatively low down perhaps around 500m, and initially the snow was softish but it soon became a little more crisp and crampons were required. There was a considerable amount of snow and it felt like mid January but on a perfect day. As we gained height there were wisps of cloud towards the summit – perhaps we were not going to be so lucky and have a clagged in summit!! However the opposite was true – we were treated to a Fog Bow and the Glories then finally being above the cloud on the summit.

It was not a day to move away from the top too quickly and we loitered for some time. Our timing was perfect as the slight breeze died away as we hit the top and there was warmth in the sun. The air clarity was superb and the hills of Lothian and the Borders could easily be picked out beyond Glasgow and Grangemouth in the central belt.

Eventually we left the summit and our friend headed back down from the Bealach leaving two of us to head up Stob Binnein.

The views from the top were almost as good as from Ben More and more loitering was done. Eventually we decided we needed to head home sometime and we headed down towards the track in Ben More Glen. We hit the track at its head – beware the mud trap. My brother sunk up to his thy literally a metre from the start of the track when jumping down!!!!

Back to the car for 14.30 and a collection of great memories – hopefully the winter will bring many more similar days 
wilkiemurray

Re: Amazing Day on Ben More in perfect winter weather :)

Postby litljortindan » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Fantastic stuff. Glad to hear of a recovery from back surgery too. I am eight weeks into physio exercises and still getting problems. Ben More always sits in my mind as a hill to be wary of because someone died there around the time when I started walking regularly. Possibly why I've never been up there.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:153   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby inca » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:02 pm

Fantastic vid and pics. Fair play to your friend for getting back up the hills so soon after surgery too. I'd imagine any hill, far less these two, would have posed some challenges for him - in terms of confidence if nothing else. Like you say, some great memories made.
inca
Hill Bagger

Munros:225   Corbetts:71
Fionas:82   Donalds:89+41
Sub 2000:198   

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:10 pm

Gasta :clap: :clap: ... u can't beat days like that .

I was on Streap on Sunday , immense although knee deep soft snow and no crampon's required ...may there be many more Winters days like this :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby dooterbang » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:32 pm

Great day indeed. Did cross my mind to do these but opted for Arrochar.

Great photos and video as per usual.

Cheers.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby mountainstar » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:51 pm

Simply superb! :D
mountainstar
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:221
Fionas:24   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:217
Wainwrights:214   Islands:24

Postby colingray8 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:25 am

Fanbloodytastic!!!

Stunning! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

/Colin.
colingray8
Munro compleatist

Munros:125   Corbetts:17
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby SuperjohnG » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:49 am

excellent report.
Great pictures and video!

How could you be bothered setting the camera up and walking past though etc? good effort.

Ona geeky note what setup were you using?
SuperjohnG
Munro compleatist

Munros:10   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby yellowbelly » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Thanks for making another superb video. The weather on Sunday was great for hillwalking, both North and South of the border.
Can someone tell me what the music is please?
yellowbelly
Wanderer

Munros:59   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   
Hewitts:125
Wainwrights:214   

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:26 pm

litljortindan wrote:Fantastic stuff. Glad to hear of a recovery from back surgery too. I am eight weeks into physio exercises and still getting problems. Ben More always sits in my mind as a hill to be wary of because someone died there around the time when I started walking regularly. Possibly why I've never been up there.

I was mightly impressed with my friend progress given how he had been no mobile for some time - good effort :clap: There have been fatalities on Ben More and navigation is key to avoid the large Corrie to the west of the tourist route which has steep head walls as well as other potential problems - However we were lucky enough to have glorious sunshine this time......
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:27 pm

inca wrote:Fantastic vid and pics. Fair play to your friend for getting back up the hills so soon after surgery too. I'd imagine any hill, far less these two, would have posed some challenges for him - in terms of confidence if nothing else. Like you say, some great memories made.

Thanks Inca- I was surprised when he suggested this one too and fair play for him getting round :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:28 pm

Collaciotach wrote:Gasta :clap: :clap: ... u can't beat days like that .

I was on Streap on Sunday ,

Awesome mountina - never been up it in snow though

immense although knee deep soft snow and no crampon's required ...may there be many more Winters days like this :D

concur - fingers crossed :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:29 pm

dooterbang wrote:Great day indeed. Did cross my mind to do these but opted for Arrochar.

Great photos and video as per usual.

Cheers.

Thanks Dooterbang - looks like you had a great day out judging by your fantastic photos - hope there are many m ore similar days coming up :D
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:30 pm

mountainstar wrote:Simply superb! :D

Thanks Mountain star :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:31 pm

colingray8 wrote:Fanbloodytastic!!!

Stunning! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

/Colin.

Thanks Colin
wilkiemurray

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland