walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullach nan Coirean - Perfect day

Mullach nan Coirean - Perfect day

Postby GillC » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Munros included on this walk: Mullach nan Coirean

Date walked: 10/11/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 1014m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

John, Jennifer and Mark had missed out on this one yesterday as conditions on Stob Ban were pretty bad, so I decided to join them on a northerly approach from Glen Nevis, on what was shaping up to be a bright, white day. :D
1 Pap of Glencoe and Beinn a'Bheithir in the morning sun.JPG
Pap of Glencoe and Beinn a'Bheithir in the morning sun

We parked up in the car park for Lower Falls, on the right of the road up Glen Nevis, at Achriabhach. I had started to have some doubts about my winter walking abilities and was harbouring a notion of pulling out and doing the walk up into Steall instead, but with some encouragement from John, bit the bullet and off we went. Walking back down the road, we went throught the gate for the Stob Ban route but realised we needed to be on the other side of the burn so back out on to the road and on to the forest track up.
2 Which way now.JPG
Which way now

On the climbing forest path, we took a left turn, then a right, then reached a cairn above the burn that marked a path heading off up into the trees. The path was fairly flat in places, climbing round trees and rocks, some really muddy parts and a tricky bit climbing over a fallen tree,,hard with a big winter pack on your back. After a while,,we simply turned right and started climbing straight up throught the forest. This was a tough stretch, negotiating large packs round tightly packed conifers, branches catching packs, clothes etc and the wet roots were slippy too. Picking my way up , John and Mark a little way ahead, Jennifer,,she was a woman on a mission, couldn't even see her anymore lol
3 Up through the pine woods.JPG
Up through the pine woods, John just visible in blue

Kept my eyes on J & M to make sure I didnt go too far off course but it really was just a case of UP UP UP. The trees started to thin and we found ourselves in amongst birches rather than conifer,,the sky opened up a bit and we then climbed on up through heather, bracken, grass and mud. Pockets of icy snow, melting in the days sun, got bigger as we approached the top. The sun had a real heat behind it, despite the time of year, lovely blue skies too.
4 .....and into the birch and heather.JPG
.....and into the birch and heather

I could see John and Mark discussing direction etc and thankfully they waited on me catching up before moving on.

As we cleared the top of the shoulder, we could see the fenceline running right/left a way ahead. The uphill approach from the right should have been our route up,,and would certainly be our route down. But for now, up we go.
5 Views up to the ridge coming in from Stob Ban to the South.JPG
Views up to the ridge coming in from Stob Ban to the South

5a Selfy with Nevis in the background.JPG
Selfy with Nevis in the background

Lovely snow by now, with Jennifers path cut for us already. All the way up,,we had glimpses of the views back to Nevis but now we had 360 degree views of snow covered hills under blue skies, totally fantastic. John pointed out Stob Ban, the one I missed yesterday (any takers to go back up there soon?) The ridge from their to Mullach nan Coirean seemed very long.
11 Stob Ban, looking better than yesterday.JPG
Stob Ban, looking better than yesterday

6 Following the fenceline up to the ridge.JPG
Following the fenceline up to the ridge
7 The compulsory shadow shot.JPG
The compulsory shadow shot
8 Fantastic climb up to the ridge.JPG
Fantastic climb up to the ridge

Todays route was easily seen ahead, over the fence at a stile, continue the ascent, through ever deepening snow and rocks, following the ridge line to the south west. Theres always a song in my head when im climbing, (that or much cursing) but today really was a Perfect Day,,so Lou Reed was giving it big licks lol

The narrow ridge between Coires Riabhach and Dearg doesnt seem so narrow as the map indicates due to the volume of snow,,but when your foot/leg disappears just the bit more off the trodden path, you get an idea of how much it slopes away.

Reaching the crest, the summit cairn could be seen over to the left and its a lovely flat wander round to meet it. We passed a chap here who had come up over Glas Chreag, probably using a starting point Scoob had suggested from about the West end of Fort William.
Over the ridge to the summit.JPG
Over the ridge to the summit

Got to the cairn, again, surrounded by amazing views, some drifting low cloud but sun was beaming. Hats and gloves out though,,,this white stuff is pretty cool to look at , but colder to be in. Mark had brought some moustaches in honour of Movember, so in the spirit of the occasion, we donned one each for a summit pic. Worrying how much John suited it lol.
9  Munro 52.JPG
Munro 52

11  Movember shots.JPG
Movember shots

10 Views over to Nevis.JPG
Views over to Nevis

We had seen two people behind us but they still hadnt reached the top,,,i had thought we should all keep the taches on until we met them lol

On heading off the hill, doesnt take long to heat up again. Lots of effort in dragging yourself out of snowy footprints that have collapsed under you lol. The light was changing constantly and the sun picking out different hills every few minutes, fabulous!

Jennifer, then Mark had headed off at quite a pace,,on reaching the stile at the fence, we couldn't see either,,although 2 sets of footprints stayed on the western side of the fence, John thought he'd seen Mark cross the stile from higher up. Anyway,,we both followed the two sets of tracks and were now on heathery ground, snow disappearing and pretty heavy going underfoot. We eventually caught up with Mark who was, indeed, on the other side of the fence. John helped him get over the deer fence just at the same time as I went over on my right ankle and let out a bit of a shriek,,,no damage though,,good job.

This section soon became very boggy,,with rocks covered in a thin film of slippy ice. tricky footwork needed. Mark and I preferring to hang off the fence for support with John wading through the bog a bit further out and away from the rocky stuff.

Climbing down, there is a high stile, with a doggy gate for the 4 legged hill walkers. up and over and then its off down through a felled area of forestry. Some huge tree stumps, wee wooden bridges etc. As earlier,,this should probably have been our route up the hill but I was happy we had taken the other route, gained height a lot quicker and also avoided the muddy boggy icy stuff too early in the day.

On reaching the main forest track, just followed the zig zags back down to the road.

This had been, for me at least, a perfect day, I loved it from start to finish. So glad I didnt listen to my own doubts earlier and missed this amazing experience. Thanks to Jen, Mark and John for your company. Magic
12 Moon over the AE ridge on the way back to Kinlochleven.JPG
Moon over the AE ridge on the way back to Kinlochleven
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Mullach nan Coirean - Perfect day

Postby The Dude. » Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:28 pm

Great report for a great day.
The Dude.
Mountain Walker

Munros:132   

Postby heatheronthehills » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:22 am

Wow, definitely a perfect hill day! Looks like a nice walk too..must give it a go soon :)
heatheronthehills
Walker

Munros:208   Corbetts:88
Fionas:68   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:80   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby GillC » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:32 am

Thanks guys,,,im checking out the route to Stob Ban from Glen Nevis too,,straight in and out,,since I missed it last week. :D
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby Tomsie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:02 am

The weather was perfect for this. Bit steep to start with but gave a different route up
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:166   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby jenniferc6 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:13 pm

Great report, it was a fantastic day out to round off a brilliant weekend - the views more than made up for the slog through the forestry :)
jenniferc6
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:179
Fionas:42   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:37   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:10

Postby Graeme D » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:17 pm

Sure was a brilliant day - more like August than November (apart from the snow cover perhaps :roll: ). Nigel and I almost succumbed to sunstroke on Garbh Bheinn! :shock:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland