walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Gliding up Glen Tanar and Mount Keen

Gliding up Glen Tanar and Mount Keen

Postby scottishkennyg » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:41 pm

Route description: Mount Keen by Glen Tanar

Munros included on this walk: Mount Keen

Date walked: 16/11/2013

Time taken: 3 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An early start at 0630 from up north to complete this most easterly munro before the snow returns.

90 miles later I turned at the fancy house before driving up Glen Tanar to a nice wee free car park at the post box.
MountKeenNov1613 085 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 001 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
I set off at 830 on the trusty MTB to cycle up a sound track through the brilliant pinewoods passing the well reported landmarks; boat loch, ruined house, halfway house over a few stone bridges and passed a nice cottage before reaching the new metal bridge at the ruins.
MountKeenNov1613 078 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 006 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 012 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 018 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
A well-worn path led easily up to the ridge
MountKeenNov1613 023 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 029 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 032 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 049 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
and on to the final climb to the large summit cairn and trig point at 1025.
MountKeenNov1613 066 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 062 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

The wind was extremely strong and it was difficult to hold on. Thankfully there were no exposed narrow sections to negotiate. I soaked up the surrounding scenery with the contrasting blue skies, white clouds and sunlight. I noticed all around that the first snow from last week had mostly thawed.
MountKeenNov1613 057 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 042 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 056 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 059 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 067 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

Soon it was time to leave.
MountKeenNov1613 068 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
A rapid descent took me back to the bridge
MountKeenNov1613 071 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
where I picked up the bike, took some more photos
MountKeenNov1613 073 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 075 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
and set sail downwind back to the car at 1130 to catch the wee plane towing the glider up the Glen.
MountKeenNov1613 080 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr
MountKeenNov1613 083 by scottishkennyg, on Flickr

A leisurely return drive in the daylight was most welcome.
scottishkennyg

Munros:282   

Re: Gliding up Glen Tanar and Mount Keen

Postby Sarah86 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:15 pm

It looks a lovely walk and a nice looking day apart from the wind! From what I have seen it is a pretty area and the walk in looks enjoyable. Must try and get there come the spring.
Sarah86
Mountaineer

Munros:20   Corbetts:8
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:20   Islands:1

Postby SuperMillie » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:42 pm

Wouldn't mind doing Mount Keen, it's on my list but I'm no winter walker, I don't have the kit or the experience so thought I might have to wait until next year. Can anyone tell me if there's still no snow in that area or have I missed my opportunity?
Thanks

Supermillie
SuperMillie
Munro compleatist

Munros:108   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:12

Postby BoyVertiginous » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:57 pm

Aye, the photos belie the wind sure enough. Was in Arrochar on Saturday in very, very wet and windy conditions.

Interested to know what folks' opinions are on Glen Tanar versus Glen Mark? Expect to be up this way fairly soon and keen (no pun intended) to take advantage and do this. Tanar is probably going to be the closer of the two, to where we need to be. The 3-hour return with bike-in is appealing as time will be limited (think the timings are similar from either Glen?) though, realise that impending snowfall may rule out the bike and add time to the walk. Is one route any nicer/better than the other or, are they much the same?
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:09 pm

Sarah86 wrote:It looks a lovely walk and a nice looking day apart from the wind! From what I have seen it is a pretty area and the walk in looks enjoyable. Must try and get there come the spring.

Thanks Sarah, You are right, the route in through the pinewoods is very impressive with plenty of shelter from the wind and the path leads easily all the way to Mount Keen.
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:14 pm

Cheers Supermillie, hope the snow stays away for you to get the chance to visit the hill before winter sets in...Just as I type this the snow is falling up in the blackisle... :o
scottishkennyg

Postby scottishkennyg » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:27 pm

Cheers BV, I opted for the Glen Tanar route for convenience as I was travelling from the North. Although the route was longer than Glen Esk, the total driving miles were less. In terms of scenery, I enjoyed the route through the pinewoods then out into the open valley with the emerging views of Mount Keen. Not sure about the Glen Esk route but there are lots of good reports on the site to help you decide. Hope the heavy snow stays away for you.
scottishkennyg

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi, I see you did exactly the same what we did last August, opting for a longer route with a shorter drive-in :lol: We walked rather than cycled, but no regrets, Glen Tanar is fantastic.
I wondered about the fancy house no. 2, hope you don't mind, I did some research: It's called Tower Lodge at Bridge o'Ess and dates from late 19th century. The bridge was built in 1894, so the house must have been constructed around the same time. It was designed by architect George Truefitt, "to guard the bridge" and the entrance to Glen Tanar Estate. Such a shame that the main Glen Tanar House did not survive...
I admit I didn't notice it when we visited Glen Tanar - must have been nodding off on the passenger seat :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby scottishkennyg » Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:11 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Hi, I see you did exactly the same what we did last August, opting for a longer route with a shorter drive-in :lol: We walked rather than cycled, but no regrets, Glen Tanar is fantastic.
I wondered about the fancy house no. 2, hope you don't mind, I did some research: It's called Tower Lodge at Bridge o'Ess and dates from late 19th century. The bridge was built in 1894, so the house must have been constructed around the same time. It was designed by architect George Truefitt, "to guard the bridge" and the entrance to Glen Tanar Estate. Such a shame that the main Glen Tanar House did not survive...
I admit I didn't notice it when we visited Glen Tanar - must have been nodding off on the passenger seat :lol: :lol:

Nice one Bp , cracking surname Truefitt..top marks on the research. :clap:
scottishkennyg

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland