walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Best lightweight rucksack ever - Osprey Talon 33?

Best lightweight rucksack ever - Osprey Talon 33?

Postby AirbusA370 » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:56 pm

Hi everyone - I am planning to buy my first real backpack gear ever.

So far I have always used my schoolbag in the mountains. Although it does the job, I bet I will get more from something technically adequate :)

I will mainly engage in a lot of hillwalking and scrambling, with occasional climbs (though I am a beginner). I also have some back pain which is why I will never go on long expeditions and prefer to do day hikes/trips.

What I know for sure is that I am prone to getting into dirt, rock and mud.

Why do I say this? Because although I am ready to invest up to £90-£100 in a backpack, I don't want to end up throwing away that money when the bag gets torn by rocks or when I fall into mud, or am exposed to a lot of rain, nature, or more...

In other words, I sometimes see supermarket rucksacks at ridiculously lower prices than at outdoor shops; I don't mind a £10 backpack getting dirty and torn once in a while if I use it every day. I can always buy a new one more easily.

More simply, I am quite nitpicky about value for money.

Considering that so far I have "survived" peaks, snow and lochs with my schoolbag (which to be honest feels even more rugged than the Osprey-silk), I sometimes wonder if those extra £80 really add that much value...

Don't get me wrong - I am not here to discredit any technical bagmaker or their users. I am simply saying that if I have to spend that much, I really want the best of the best (in terms of quality, features, etc)!

All advice appreciated!
AirbusA370
Stravaiging

Re: Best lightweight rucksack ever - Osprey Talon 33?

Postby weaselmaster » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:25 pm

I've used this rucksac for the last 2 seasons
Found it fits well and is comfortable for a long day's hiking
Has useful features - like the loops for easily stowing poles without having to remove the sac.
Is tough and has stood up to a fair amount of bashing about without showing any real wear so far
front pockets (on the belly strap) handy for keeping a camera or small gps in
seems to be easy enough to wash - though i usually let the rain do that
I use waterproof stuff sacks inside the sac to keep contents dry
I use it with an osprey camel-back type bladder, which fits comfortably
I'd buy another

Hope that helps
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby bydand_loon » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:39 pm

If I was resticted to one bergan/daypack manufacturer, it would be osprey (says the boy who just bought a montane grand tour last week :D )

Everything about Osprey bags is just right imo and they're so comfortable on when tabbing with weight
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby Michael Thomson » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Osprey packs are fine once you take a pair of scissors to them, they tend to be a bit over-specced for me.

Tons of bags to choose from, but there's no magic bullet, they all have their ups and downs. The main thing is to get the fit right and try them on with a loadout similar to what you normally carry. I could recommend a fair few to try but I get the feeling that robustness is a key factor so I can eliminate those which are a bit more flimsy.
That being the case, I'd suggest that alongside the Osprey, you try the Montane Medusa, the Lowe Alpine Mountain Attack and the Edelrid Helix. They are all lightish and very robust in my experience.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby BobMcBob » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:01 pm

I'd say the difference between your schoolbag and the Osprey will be comfort. Comfort means the way it fits, and a well-fitting rucksack makes walking much more pleasurable. Properly adjusted, you'll barely even know the Osprey is there. Most of the weight will be on the hip belt, and it won't slip or move around when you're walking - this is very important when scrambling. My Talon 22 has lasted me 5 years and shows no sign of wearing out. It's washable too. No doubt I could have done all the walks I've done with the Osprey using a selection of 10 quid bags, but I wouldn't want to. Carrying weight without a decent hip belt is not something you want to go back to once you've tried the alternative.

'Value for money' can be a hard thing to define. Not all bags are created equal, or for the same purpose. If the extra comfort - and therefore significantly more pleasant and less strenuous walking - is important to you (it certainly is to me) then the difference in price between a ultra-cheap and an Osprey is well worth it.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Grouse » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:16 pm

I have a Lowe Alpine Airzone 25 which I absolutely love, I can't imagine there is a more comfortable rucksack than this.

Having said that, it is a bit on the small side for winter which is why I have just ordered a Lowe Alpine Airzone Pro 35:45.

I tried both the Osprey Talon (44) and the Lowe Alpine (35:45) on and found the Osprey a bit too 'strappy' for my liking, but is was just as comfortable as the Lowe Alpine.

But I would recommend that you consider Lowe Alpine as for me they are the best rucksacks on the market for hillwalking.

Regards.
Grouse
Mountain Walker

Hewitts:10

Postby AirbusA370 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:32 am

I ended up buying the Osprey Talon 33 for £85 at Cotswold.

Tried it on one day walk so far - it's quite practical. I love the many pockets and pouches!

A compass here, a map there, a light in this minipocket, a bottle in that sidepouch, sanitation/antibacterial wipes in the other pouch. Food in the main compartment,... truly sophisticated.

Might need some time to get used to all the straps.

Still not 100% convinced about durability - fabric feels almost like silk - but I don't want to smash it on the rocks just for the sake of testing. Yet.

Will see how it performs on an actual scramble,

All in all, agree that it's extremely comfortable.
AirbusA370
Stravaiging

Postby EileanB » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:29 pm

I was considering buying one of these, especially as the sales are on. Does anyone know if they fit in with Ryanair cabin baggage limits? I tried looking up the dimensions online and got about 3 different answers.
EileanB
Walker

Postby BobMcBob » Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:56 pm

If it helps, the Talon 22 is just allowable as BMIBaby cabin luggage (but only just!). If you can find out what that size is, that might help you. The Talon 33 will, of course, be larger.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby EileanB » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Pity. That was my excuse for getting one. I already have a rucksack which won't quite fit. On the other hand I have an ancient Alpine Lowe 25 litre one which is comfortably within the limits. I'll just have to wear lots of clothes on the plane. It never occurred to me to consider cabin baggage allowances when buying rucksacks.....
EileanB
Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk