walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

The John Muir Way

The John Muir Way

Postby Bobgord » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:58 pm

I have just read that the Central Scotland Green Network is developing a path from Helensburgh to Dunbar that they are going to call the John Muir Way. The John Muir Way already runs from Musselburgh to Cockburnspath, so how can there be two paths with the same name?
Bobgord
Mountaineer

Re: The John Muir Way

Postby laconic surf » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:22 am

They are just extending it from Musselburgh to Helensburgh. For some reason some Central Scotland Green Network are advertising it will be from Helensburgh to Dunbar, i'm guessing as from Dunbar down to the English border (technically stage 1 of the trail) is outwith its remit but it's all the same thing.
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby Bobgord » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:15 am

No, it's just stopping at Dunbar, but the other John Muir Way continues to Cockburnspath. There is detail on the SNH web site http://www.snh.gov.uk/enjoying-the-outdoors/year-of-natural-scotland-2013/celebrate-john-muir/john-muir-way/. It just seems to be bits of existing paths joined together and doesn't look very inspiring to me! They have been advertising it as the John Muir Trail up until now. I had a look at the Central Scotland Green Network web site and they have an article about the John Muir Festival in their news section. This refers to the John Muir Trail and the John Muir Way. It all seems rather confusing to me and why use the name of an existing path for a new path?!!
Bobgord
Mountaineer

Postby rohan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:24 pm

In feed back to the Green network on their proposal and idea of calling it the John Muir Trail, there were concerns that it would compare unfavourably with the tremendous John Muir Trail from Yosemite to Mount Whitney. Also the other long distance routes in Scotland (and I think England) are called "ways" not "trails".
It just seems to be bits of existing paths joined together and doesn't look very inspiring to me!
. I agree, but they wanted to mark John Muir's Centenary with it. I hope people are inspired to learn more about the man himself whatever the path.
rohan

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion