walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Typical Scottish Day on Ben More

Typical Scottish Day on Ben More

Postby Quadbarrel » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:22 pm

Route description: Ben More and Stob Binnein

Munros included on this walk: Ben More, Stob Binnein

Date walked: 10/08/2013

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 1350m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So, as our cousins were up from England for the week, we decided to go hillwalking one of the days (today :wink: ). We chose to do Ben More and Stob Binnein.

Parked on the right hand side of the road (as you come from Crianlarich). Headed up the wee path and onto the bigger track snaking up the hillside to the left of Benmore Glen. At the start of the long straight bit then took off left, following a faint path, the start of which was signified by a cairn just after the gate. Started the the long slog up the bog (poet in the making here :wink: :wink: ).

A.JPG
The slog up the bog

Eventually cleared the boggy part of the hillside and started on the firmer ground further up.

B.jpg
Perfect photo op ;)

C.JPG
The view up Glen Dochart

After many, many zig-zags the path finally straightened out and you could finally see what lay further ahead - some cloud!!! :roll:

E.JPG
The cloud and my wee sis

Followed the path round to Cuidhe Chrom and then up and finally to the top!!! :D :D :D Hallelujah :D :D :D !!!

F.jpg
Us at the top. Left to right, my wee sis, me (above), my big cousin (below), my bigger cousin

G.JPG
The trigpoint and the amazing view of some cloud

Headed down the other side of Ben More and down towards Bealach-eader-dha Bheinn.

H.JPG
Bealach-eader-dha Bheinn

Started the relatively simple ascent up the path to Stob Binnein.

I.jpg
Amazing cloud formations up the ridge

J.JPG
Heading up

K.jpg
Us again

L.JPG
The view down Allt Coire Chaorach and towards Beinn Bhreac

When we reached the top of Stob Binnein the cloud was just starting to clear so got little glances over to Ben More just so we could see it was now out the clouds - Argh!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

M.jpg
Stob Binnein

Headed down back to the bealach (honestly can't be bothered typing it's name again) and met up with my weeer (6-year-old) sis and my mum who had just conquered Ben More! :clap: :clap: :clap: Sheltered under a rock for a wee bit and had some snacks before starting to descend.

N.jpg
Me stupidly wearing shorts?!?

Headed down into Benmore Glen, towards the head of the track we came on. Eventually after much back and forthing of the stream found the path down. Once we hit the path the going was steep but easy and we were down in a jiffy (relative to what we had just done)!

O.JPG
Found a little froggy at the bottom - Awww!

After sinking to our knees in the bogs of Benmore :? finally found the track.

P.jpg
Me in an... awkward position - Hmmm

Now just the few kilometres along the track to the car.

Q.jpg
Looking back

I know you're thinking "the title says it was a typical Scottish day but it hasn't rained yet" but just as we were heading back on the track (more poetry there) the heavens opened. We were very happy indeed on reaching the car. Now off to the Drovers Inn for a pint (of lemonade in my case!) - other pubs are available in the area :wink:
Quadbarrel
Mountaineer

Munros:143   Corbetts:51
Fionas:34   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:58   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:30   Islands:3

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland