walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Tomtain to Meikle Bin

Tomtain to Meikle Bin

Postby lock1uk » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:49 pm

is there a good walking route from Tomtain to Meikle Bin ??
lock1uk
Mountaineer

Re: Tomtain to Meikle Bin

Postby colingray8 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:08 am

I've not been that way in years, but there used to be a path. I would not describe it as a 'good' path, a bit wet and obscure in places.

If you do walk it, let us know how you get on.

Thanks,

/Colin.
colingray8
Munro compleatist

Munros:125   Corbetts:17
Fionas:8   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby DonnyW » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:55 pm

Nope..there is no path ..the path over tomtain starts to disappear over the far side of Garrel Hill. The Plea moor is boggy and hard going tussochs..even to get to Lairds hill. However it can be done..but in my opinion its not worth the effort.

This is the tussocky grass of the Plea Moor between Garrel and Lairds hill... my advice if you dont want to go the Meckle bin tourist route is go from cort ma law direction instead...still no path..but is a bit easier to walk.

Hope this helps

Lairds-Hill-12.jpg
DonnyW

Postby campsiebogtrotter » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:11 pm

resurrecting an old thread here as it's my neck of the woods.

the above photo is looking down the Garrell Glen to Kilsyth unless i'm mistaken.

There is a path of sorts here - more of a farmer's quad track by the looks of it but as said above it is very wet and boggy although not in the same league as the man-eating terrors of the ground between cort ma law and leckett hill :shock:

You could start at Queenzieburn and go up via Birkenburn reservoir which is a better path as it was made with type 1 a few years ago to allow vehicles up to the reservoir (so I was told). Either way, it's 'all weather' now whereas previously it was grass with some heavy duty bog-trotting once up on top. Interested to try the route from Cort ma Law to Meikle Bin as once at the trig point there looks like faint paths heading over in the general direction which don't appear on the OS map. Same thing at Leckett hill (vague looking paths heading towards the Bin)
campsiebogtrotter

Munros:3   Corbetts:1
Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion