walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Conic Hall, Loch Lomond for firstime hiker?

Conic Hall, Loch Lomond for firstime hiker?

Postby mingize » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:26 pm

Hi there,

I am new to hiking but I do love walking. I am planning to hike Conic Hill near Balmaha in January 2014. I have searched info about this trail on this site but I am not sure whether it is suitable for a firs time hiker. Can I do it alone? Or should I need a guide?

If you think it is not okay for me. Any trail near Loch Lomond you advise me to hike a bit. I must say I can only take a public transport to get there.

Thanks in advance! :)
mingize

Re: Conic Hall, Loch Lomond for firstime hiker?

Postby bootsandpaddles » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:32 pm

I think Conic Hill would be ideal. You can get a bus to Balmaha. There is a newly constructed path which should make the going easier for you. If there is snow and ice on the ground I would advise caution, however, as the hill is quite steep.
bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Postby ConnieW » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:09 pm

Conic Hill is a nice little hill with no real difficulties, although the very last bit to the summit (just off the WHW) can be a bit slippy. I have not been on it since the path has been redone, so I don't know whether that section was improved as well. I don't know whether bus times would allow this, but walking from Drymen over Conic Hill on the West Highland Way and down to Balmaha is an even more rewarding walk and not difficult. It is one of the walks that my friends and I do in winter when there is too much snow elsewhere. It is lovely to come over the top and see Loch Lomond "revealed".
ConnieW

Munros:94   Corbetts:43
Fionas:21   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Walk-n-Roller » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:02 pm

Conic is a fairly small straight forward hill ideal for what your looking for.

For what it's worth, despite its size the views across the fault line are great on a clear day.
Walk-n-Roller
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:3
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:11

Postby EileanB » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:08 pm

I went up Conic Hill a couple of years ago and found it pretty straightforward. I spent a bit of time looking up the geology of the area before I went, and found it added a lot of interest to the walk. You really are on the highland boundary!
EileanB
Walker

Postby mingize » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Many thanks for kind response.
It seems this Conic Hill trail is good start for me. I will be looking forward next month. :D
mingize

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion