walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Skye Advice

Skye Advice

Postby matteodep » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:44 pm

Hello i'm an italian hiker, i want to organize a trekking in the isle of skye but i need some advices about the overnight stay. I made a trip 2 years ago where i went in the highland and Skye Isle but by car and i slept in B&B everynight. Are there no other ways for sleep except B&B and hotels? No possibilities to use a tent for a few nights? Because I do not know (also in legal framework) if is phisically and legally possible while doing, for example, the Skye Trail.
Thanks, Matteo
matteodep
Stravaiging

Re: Skye Advice

Postby lochlaggan » Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Its Scotland mate so you camp almost anywhere that is wild land! Also there are bunkhouses on Skye which help to keep costs down. :D :D
lochlaggan
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:212
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:11

Postby Challum » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:04 pm

On the Skye Trail, we wild-camped beside Loch Langaig, then the campsites at Portree and Sligachan. Wild-camped again at Kirkibost and again at Suisnish. Could use the bothy at Camasunary if you wished.
Challum

Postby Gareth Harper » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:13 pm

http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/hostels/area/Skye.htm

The Waterfront Bunkhouse in Carbost is nice. Food in the Inn right next door is good and reasonably priced too.

Most the the Indy hostels are fine, though I wasn't keen on The Portree Independent, but it has been many years since I stayed there. And I've heard Saucy Mary's is possibly a bit of a 'party hostel'.

There's also,

Not so keen on em, but hey it's a roof over yer heid for the night.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion