walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Milestone on Mile Hill

Milestone on Mile Hill

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:20 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Mile Hill

Date walked: 28/12/2013

Time taken: 1.2 hours

Distance: 5.5 km

Ascent: 278m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The weather has been pretty rubbish over the last few days so instead of getting out on the hills over Xmas I've had to settle for an hour in the gym each morning. This morning was the same, up early, drive down to Dundee to the gym, home by 8am (I'll get longer in my bed when I get back to work :? ).

Today followed the same pattern but back at the house the morning started off bright and sunny so with Mile Hill in mind (my only Angus Munro/Corbett/Graham/Sub 2000 left to do) I headed off. By the time I arrived at Balintore the sun had disappeared but conditions were decent (windy but not that cold).

I had left this hill to last as there seemed to be a few fields to wander through and a couple of times I have been in the area there have been a lot of livestock around but today the fields seemed to be empty so I shouldn't be annoying anybody.

I had looked at various ways of getting to this hill but in the end I selected the same route Rod and JC used last winter and Graeme D a few days ago.

1.jpg

2.jpg
A bit of a mole problem

Parking opposite the main entrance to Balintore Castle I headed down past Balintore smithy and went through the gate into an empty field. As per Graeme D's report I followed the grassy track but then stupidly left it to head more directly towards Mile Hill. Everything was going fine till I reached a burn at the bottom of the field and then had to tramp through some tussocky grass back towards Hilton until I found a crossing by a track. I was now only about 100 yards from Hilton, followed the track for about 50 yards then turned left away from Hilton and towards Gairlaw.

3.jpg
Mile Hill

4.jpg
Looking back over the fields towards the start

The track from Hilton to Gairlaw was in good nick with only a few damp bits so it didn't take long to get to the foot of Mile Hill.

5.jpg
Burn in full flow

On reaching Gairlaw I needed to cross a burn that normally you would probably hardly notice but today I needed to use a few stepping stones to get over dry.

6.jpg
Looking down on Gairlaw

The climb up onto the top of Mile Hill was fairly easy going on grassy slopes with the odd tree stump and rabbit burrow to watch out for. The top is pretty flat and by chance I came across a few stones which seemed to mark the summit.

7.jpg
Looking over to Loch of Lintrathen

8.jpg
Cat Law

After just a few minutes I headed back down towards Gairlaw.

9.jpg
Gairlaw with more monster mole hills

11.jpg
It's OK Rod, honestly!!

Once I was back at the point close to Hilton I noticed a track skirting the woods so followed it back before crossing a gate in to the field.

12.jpg

13.jpg
A few casualties from the recent storms

Back in the field I picked up the grassy track which took me back to within 100 yards of the start of the walk.

Might have been an idea if I had read Graeme's report properly in which case at the start of the walk I would have followed the grassy track through the field until it reached the tree line close to Hilton but the temptation was to leave it and head more directly towards Mile Hill.

Probably could have picked a better hill to complete my Angus hills on but worth doing.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Milestone on Mile Hill

Postby The Rodmiester » Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:55 pm

Angus hills complete, now what for the winter walks? More car travelling! Not good news. Well done on the completion though! :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:18 pm

Hi Rod

Looks like Aberdeenshire & Perthshire for the next few weeks. Might even sneak over to Fife now and again.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby The Rodmiester » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:37 am

Gordie12 wrote:Hi Rod

Looks like Aberdeenshire & Perthshire for the next few weeks. Might even sneak over to Fife now and again.

Me too when I can get away! Up to Inverness tonight to see the New year in. Have a good one, enjoy your dram! Might catch up with you sometime.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi Rod

Have a good new year!

Assume you will have another couple of hills to report on for the next time I'm driving up the A9.................
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby gmr82 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Very strange Gordie, I actually dont recognise the name of this hill at all, even though I thought I had at least had a cursory glance at all the hills in this area for when I go between Edinburgh and Aberdeen.
I see that very few members have registered climbing this as well, so well done on bagging what appears to be a very quiet hill indeed - just the way I like it!
gmr82
Mountain Walker

Munros:27   Corbetts:7
Fionas:21   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:39   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:3   

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Gav - you haven't missed much!!! Definitely one just to tick off and probably never to return to.

Have you been out much lately??
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:45 pm

Thanks RTC, I was considering starting from the South and was looking at the track down past Broadmuir (starts about half a mile East of your starting point and also goes to Kinclune). In the end, plumped for the route from the North as I'm not keen on walking through farms/fields as I always feel a bit awkward. The route from the North meant going through fields but keeping away from any farm buildings (other than ruins).

Shame about the breeks, sounds like you got your monies worth out of them though.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Graeme D » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:25 pm

Gordie12 wrote:As per Graeme D's report I followed the grassy track but then stupidly left it to head more directly towards Mile Hill. Everything was going fine till I reached a burn at the bottom of the field and then had to tramp through some tussocky grass back towards Hilton until I found a crossing by a track.

Don't say you weren't warned Gordie! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby bar72 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:45 am

very quick acent from the South if you drive up past Kinclune Farm and park at the gate :)

bar72
Stravaiging

Munros:282   Corbetts:194
Fionas:74   Donalds:67+40
Sub 2000:73   
Islands:14

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:03 pm

Thanks for this.

I'm looking to do Cat Law this winter so might be nice to try this wee one from a different direction on the same day.
Gordie12
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland