walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Winnie does Dumgoyne

Winnie does Dumgoyne

Postby kevsbald » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Route description: Dumgoyne and Earl's Seat, near Killearn

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Earl's Seat

Date walked: 29/12/2013

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 3 km

Ascent: 390m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I haven't done anything of note since the Tarf trip in early December and was getting a bit angsty. When SWMBO decided she was going to hit the sales, it meant I was on dog duty. Now Winnie has been up the Whangie and even managed a sub-2000 peak in Achiltibuie in September but she is not exactly built for hill escapades. I had originally thought I might get her up Ben Venue but as I sped out of Strathblane, the views North were not exactly welcoming and so I decided on a last minute pad up Dumgoyne. At 427m, it's quite a small hill but it's a SLF. How would the bulldogue francaise cope with greasy conditions and a more or less straight blast up the hill? Very well it seems. I hadn't really lost much hill fitness since the 62K epic 3 weeks ago and Winnie was always at my heel. On a couple of occasions she needed a small boost but her confidence on the rock really impressed me. At the top, we had the summit to ourselves, which more than vindicated the decision to stay local and low. Winnie promptly sat down and gazed across at Earl's Seat - a future prospect. I was quite excited that my wee pal was fit enough and envisage a Graham or Corbett in January. Whether she'll manage a Munro, I'm not so sure. Good to get out though and there was a quiet pooch at home for the rest of the day.
wh1.JPG
The two-headed beast approacheth
wh2.JPG
HRH Winnie surveys all before her
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Winnie does Dumgoyne

Postby davetherave » Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:04 pm

Tut tut Kev. Nice wee jolly you had there. Shame about the pic's though. You must get some better pic's of Winnie up pronto, ones of her face atleast.
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Re: Winnie does Dumgoyne

Postby Collaciotach » Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:37 pm

well done Winnie :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland