walkhighlands

Record your sightings of wildlife and birds on this board - even better if you managed to capture a photo.
Warning Please avoid giving out the locations of nest sites for rare birds.

Wild Boar at the Grey Corries

Wild Boar at the Grey Corries

Postby scoob999 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:19 pm

Spotted at NN2614 7764

the last thing we expected to see on a walk :shock: and he/she wasn't for running away, although it did have a limp! just like we saw a stag with a limp in the morning :?

I have to admit to having my ice axe at the ready for protection :shock: luckily it never came to that
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Re: Wild Boar at the Grey Corries

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:15 pm

They are often used to clear land after forestry harvesting; that fencing looks quite new, it may be a managed herd of wild-breed pigs rather than a truly wild one. Though, they are wild around Loch Arkaig, not a million miles away...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby DonnyW » Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:00 pm

Hmmm..reminds me of the roast hog rolls they sell at the Lothian Road car park market in Edinburgh.. and I can confirm they are delicious..especially with the apple sauce :D

Perhaps thats where they get them from :lol:
DonnyW

Postby ballarat » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:05 pm

:) believe they had some in an enclosure on corrour estate for a while,a few years ago
ballarat
Hill Bagger

Postby ilovescotty » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:14 pm

There is such a misconception that wild boar are aggressive dangerous. I live very near the forest of dean, where hundreds of boar roam wild (although less now thanks to the October cull, courtesy of the Forestry Commission).

My girlfriend and I have spotted them over 20 times in the last 3-4 years, and have managed to get very close for some piccies. As soon as a human being gets within 5-10 meters of these animals, they just run away, they are incredibly shy.
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Wildlife sightings