walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Cairngorms, current conditions.

Cairngorms, current conditions.

Postby tony.cee » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:47 pm

Evening, I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of the current conditions up and around linn of dee? I plan on attempting beinn bhrotain and possibly monadh mor from linn of dee by bike. It's been a while since I have been out due to being offshore and I'm in dyer need of a day on the hills. The weather forecast appears to be favourable also.

Any tips or comments from anyone who has done this route previously would be greatly appreciated also, ie the ease of cycling in, where to leave the bike, time it took. I will also add that if Anyone is keen to join me and has a mountain bike, I have an empty car and cycle rack leaving from Aberdeen at around 0600.
tony.cee
Mountain Walker

Munros:99   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   

Re: Cairngorms, current conditions.

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:00 pm

Have a look at http://www.sais.gov.uk/page_southern%20cairngorms.asp - main snow cover is above 800m, firm and icy. Navigation likely to be interesting if the tops are in cloud! Been a while since I was there, but beyond White Bridge the track is pretty rough and stony, may not be worth taking the bike beyond the bridge.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby wisey » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:26 pm

I'm also hoping to get out in the Cairngorms this weekend after just moving to Aberdeen for work. I have been invited to go and walk Driesh and Mayar on Sunday, but with the route being a northerly approach, which appears steep in places, I suspect this might not be the best walk for this weekend, especially with fresh snow forecast before then and an SAIS forecast saying there is an avalanche risk on northerly and westerly slopes. Has anyone been around there recently? Any advice from those more experienced than myself would be welcome and appreciated!
wisey
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby gman » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:37 pm

Did these two in November, cycling from Linn of Dee. Trip report here:
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=37834
gman

Munros:250   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:1   

Postby jmarkb » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:31 am

wisey wrote:I'm also hoping to get out in the Cairngorms this weekend after just moving to Aberdeen for work. I have been invited to go and walk Driesh and Mayar on Sunday, but with the route being a northerly approach, which appears steep in places, I suspect this might not be the best walk for this weekend, especially with fresh snow forecast before then and an SAIS forecast saying there is an avalanche risk on northerly and westerly slopes. Has anyone been around there recently? Any advice from those more experienced than myself would be welcome and appreciated!

The steep ground crossed by the path in Corrie Fee is all below about 650m. There's little snow below that height at the moment, so it's unlikely that it will become a significant avalanche hazard in the next couple of days. Today's SAIS forecast only has risk above 800m - the terrain on both hills above this height isn't steep enough to worry about. Worth keeping an eye on SAIS, though. Sunday's weather forecast isn't great, so I'd be much more concerned about safe navigation in potential white-out conditions.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion