walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beautiful Glenmore Forest

Beautiful Glenmore Forest

Postby ilovescotty » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:41 pm

Date walked: 07/10/2013

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

An excellent hike through Glenmore Forest Park, easily the most natural and 'wild' area of forest I have ever visited in the UK.

We started around 11 am, setting off from our cabin at Pine Bank Chalets just outside Aviemore (excellent accommodation I might add). I would have preferred a much earlier start in an attempt to spot some more wildlife, but alas my girlfriend is a sloth in the mornings.

We pulled up just past Loch Morlich, and entered the woods. Having spent so much time recently in the Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire (an equal mix of ancient deciduous woodland and spruce plantation), I was particularly looking forward to seeing how the woodlands up here differed in terms of tree species and wildlife.

emmas camera 192 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 193 (640x480).jpg
Emma stood by the stream, what a charming grin.

Caledonian pinewoods have such a different feel to any other type of forest/woodland in the UK. A genuine feeling of being in a pure and untouched wilderness is a very special feeling indeed. Despite obviously having foot-paths dotted around, and a few other subtle signs of forestry commission work, this place really did feel unspoilt.

We continued further into the woods, spotting (yet failing to photograph) a cheeky red squirrel who dashed across the path and up a nearby pine. We had already spotted two of the little critters outside our cabin before we left that morning, and I must say, they are far more charming than their grey rat-like cousins in the south.

emmas camera 198 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 199 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 200 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 201 (640x480).jpg
Some of the stunning scenery captured along the way

As we got further and further into the woods, we would often veer off the path, further enhancing that 'wild feeling'. I was very pleased to see how many young Scots Pines hatchlings were sprouting from the floor, hopefully one day helping to increase the tree cover and extend these beautiful native woodlands.

emmas camera 204 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 205 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 206 (640x480).jpg

We continued along a path, which got narrower and became hidden beneath undergrowth, until eventually it disappeared altogether.

emmas camera 207 (640x480).jpg

we scrambled down a small rocky slope, and found ourselves next to another rushing stream, which we crossed carefully, trying to avoid the more slippery of the scattered stepping stones.

emmas camera 208 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 209 (640x480).jpg

What awaited us on the other side was a completely secluded, pathless and hiker-free expanse of beautiful forest. This was my favorite point of the whole walk.

A female Capercaillie flew out of a nearby tree, the unmistakable clicking sound allowing us to identify it clearly. To the left, we caught a glimpse of two Red stags dashing behind a moss covered mound, and dissapearing into the dense covering of trees beyond.

The sun began to shine through the wet misty pines, and I was overcome with a real feeling of joy. Such a privilege to be in a place so unspoiled by human activity (although perhaps our presence spoiled things for the poor startled deer).

emmas camera 215 (640x480).jpg

Everything from that point onward was just icing on the cake, despite a slight feeling of disappointment from failing to catch any of our remarkable wildlife on camera (not through lack of trying- deer are bloody fast runners when startled).

We continued for a while longer, eventually stumbling back onto a footpath. At this point, we almost turned back, slightly concerned that we did not know exactly where we were. However, we decided that we should continue a little further.

emmas camera 266 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 267 (640x480).jpg
Emma enjoying the rain

emmas camera 270 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 271 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 272 (640x480).jpg

I was so glad we persevered, as we saw even more amazing scenery, and I got some great close ups of the local musshies!

emmas camera 265 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 268 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 269 (640x480).jpg

emmas camera 318 (640x480).jpg

Incidently, mushrooms are much easier to photograph than deer. They don't tend to run away when they see a human.
ilovescotty
Munro compleatist

Munros:5   Corbetts:1
Hewitts:2

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland