walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Mobile phone

Mobile phone

Postby davetucker » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi, looking at buying a cheap mobile phone for walking in Scotland, not a smart phone, but a basic one where the battery lasts for days rather than hours, is there a service provider that has better coverage then others, ie orange, Vodafone...etc

Regards
Dave
davetucker

Re: Mobile phone

Postby Challum » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:05 pm

Vodafone generally has best coverage in hill walking areas. That's my experience, others may disagree (but they would be wrong!!!)
Challum

Postby davetucker » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:04 am

Excellent, 1 Vodafone phone now reserved at Argos £6.99 bargain :clap: :clap: :clap: ! Battery will outlast the iPhone, for sure, many thanks,
Dave
davetucker

Postby mickC » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:15 pm

I would be interested in what others think of mobile coverage in West Scotland and Cairngorms. I'm with O2, but don't usually use the phone till I come off the hill and get back to the van. However, I often can't get a reception.
I walked the WHW several years ago and my pal who was on Orange got good reception for most of the way, while my O2 was hopeless [saved me money though, using his :lol: ] This was more than 10 years ago.
I have an old Nokia 3100 on which the battery lasts for months, but needs a new Sim, Don't know which PAYG to get for best coverage.
mickC
Munro compleatist

Munros:62   Corbetts:10
Fionas:4   

Postby rockhopper » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:14 pm

mickC wrote:I would be interested in what others think of mobile coverage in West Scotland and Cairngorms. I'm with O2, but don't usually use the phone till I come off the hill and get back to the van. However, I often can't get a reception.
I walked the WHW several years ago and my pal who was on Orange got good reception for most of the way, while my O2 was hopeless [saved me money though, using his :lol: ] This was more than 10 years ago.
I have an old Nokia 3100 on which the battery lasts for months, but needs a new Sim, Don't know which PAYG to get for best coverage.
I'm also on O2 for normal phone but I do also carry a basic pay&go which is on vodafone when out on the hills. They're usually switched off though when I'm walking - on the few occasions I've tried switching them on to make a call or text, I often find there's no signal anyway. Moving to the highest point sometimes helps but not in remote areas. I generally leave details and a map of my planned route with my wife and arrange a time when I know I should be able to call in - on overnighters though that can mean no contact for over a day - getting any reception in between is a bonus - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby RyanfaeScotland » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:09 am

Sometimes sending a text is the best option since many phones (not all mind you) will continue trying to resend your text when you get signal, so if you are out wandering you can send a text and even if it fails just slip the phone back in your pocket and check it every now and then to see if it has sent.

I'm also O2 btw and reception tends to be pretty poor out in the hills.
RyanfaeScotland
Mountain Walker

Munros:8   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby rockhopper » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:03 am

RyanfaeScotland wrote:Sometimes sending a text is the best option since many phones (not all mind you) will continue trying to resend your text when you get signal, so if you are out wandering you can send a text and even if it fails just slip the phone back in your pocket and check it every now and then to see if it has sent.
sounds a good idea as I tend to switch it on, try to see if there's a signal then just switch it off..............now all I need to do is learn more about this new fangled texting thing :roll: :wink: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby tenohfive » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:39 am

Worth mentioning the 999 text message service since we're on the subject:
http://www.emergencysms.org.uk/registering_your_mobile_phone.php

2 minute job to register ahead of time - if you don't register, it won't work. (Registering doesn't need personal details etc.)
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk