walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Walking from Edzell to Montrose

Walking from Edzell to Montrose

Postby LDPWalker » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:04 pm

As part of a coast to coast walk across Scotland starting in Knoydart, I will be walking from Edzell (nr Brechin) to a finish in Montrose. Would anybody on this site with local knowledge know of any footpaths/routes I could use so I can avoid a 10 mile plod on tarmac? For instance, I was wondering if there was a path all along the river North Esk into Montrose? Any suggestions to reduce the tarmac time would be very welcome indeed! (Incidentally, I'm not doing the TGO Challenge).
LDPWalker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:34
Fionas:10   Donalds:18
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:71
Wainwrights:9   

Re: Walking from Edzell to Montrose

Postby jmarkb » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:22 pm

This might help for the latter part of the route: http://www.britishwalks.org/walks/2005/675.php
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Re: Walking from Edzell to Montrose

Postby bydand_loon » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:09 pm

Ive fished and walked the north esk from loch lee down to edzell ish, and you can walk the bank/path/track the whole way pretty much, ive also fished from the sea upstream for about 2 or 3 miles and again it was easy walking (with just a fly rod though :D ) a few styles and gates on both stretches, but its a popular wee salmon river so id guess there's a path of sorts in the middle bit as well.

Im also walking from knoydart but to Stonehaven in a few months too, I went for stoney as its the best place on the east coast for the least amount of road.
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion