walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

merino wool in summer

merino wool in summer

Postby EileanB » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:57 pm

I am a huge fan of merino wool base layers in winter - not just for walking, I live in them, reckon I may even have saved their astronomical cost in central heating fuel over the last two winters!
I am wondering about investing in a lightweight summer one to use as a general easy to pack top. Do they really keep you cool and unsweaty as they claim? Excuses to get one include cycling in the South of France in april and the pennine way later in the summer. I won't be able to carry much and the weather could be quite variable, could need warm or cool stuff.
EileanB
Walker

Re: merino wool in summer

Postby RockyRab » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:39 pm

They work fine in summer, I have a few lightweight merino wool baselayers for the summer and love them. I spent a lot of time last summer out in the sun doing physically demanding work and found them to be great. Find it difficult to compare them to synthetic baselayers when it comes to wicking (which I found perfectly good) but they don't start to smell after an hour or two. :lol:
RockyRab
Munro compleatist

Postby mrssanta » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:50 pm

Agreed. I wore mine in July for 72hrs or so on the trot never took it off wild camping and walking on the north Kintail munros. It was extremely hot. Apart from the clegs biting right through it and making holes (grrr) it was perfect. and believe it or not did not smell bad at the end.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby nathan79 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:03 am

Do they keep you as cool and unsweaty as they claim? Ish.
I'm with RockyRab in that they don't wick as good as synthetics but the odour control is likely worth it.

Check out the Rab MeCo stuff. Merino with coconut fibers for quicker drying/better wicking.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby earl83 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:22 am

For what it is worth I took both Rab MeCo (referred to above) and Rab Aeon (synthetic top) on my travels around S.E. Asia and preferred the synthetic top.
earl83
Scrambler

Postby Michael Thomson » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:56 pm

I prefer synthetics too, I've not had a good experience with the longevity of some merino efforts.
Michael Thomson
Stravaiging

Postby Decal Joe » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:45 pm

nathan79 wrote:Do they keep you as cool and unsweaty as they claim? Ish.
I'm with RockyRab in that they don't wick as good as synthetics but the odour control is likely worth it.

Check out the Rab MeCo stuff. Merino with coconut fibers for quicker drying/better wicking.

I like the Rab MeCo but I found that it became very worn very quickly, anywhere my pack had been in contact with was all bobbly after 1 wear. Quite expensive to be in a shabby state so soon!
Decal Joe
Mountaineer

Munros:152   Corbetts:1
Fionas:4   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby tenohfive » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:59 pm

earl83 wrote:For what it is worth I took both Rab MeCo (referred to above) and Rab Aeon (synthetic top) on my travels around S.E. Asia and preferred the synthetic top.

The Aeon is the most comfortable baselayer I've ever worn. I walk, run, cycle and live in my Aeon tops. I just find them more comfortable and much faster wicking than the merino tops I've got (even my Icebreaker itches slightly) but I really should pick up a MeCo top for multiday trips, see if the mix is any more comfortable.
tenohfive

Munros:2   
Hewitts:40
Wainwrights:44   

Postby nathan79 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:03 am

Decal Joe wrote:
nathan79 wrote:Do they keep you as cool and unsweaty as they claim? Ish.

I like the Rab MeCo but I found that it became very worn very quickly, anywhere my pack had been in contact with was all bobbly after 1 wear. Quite expensive to be in a shabby state so soon!

I do know where you're coming from with that. I've got the long sleeved zip top and a short sleeved one. The short sleeved one does have some obvious bobbling around the lower back and where the hip belts contact it, though none at the shoulders.
Probably the best synthetic baselayers I have are Decathlon ones costing I think a fiver a pop. Got maybe half a dozen of them and they're great.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby basscadet » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:24 am

I've been disappointed with the my icebreaker merino baselayers.. Full of holes after minimal wear.. They are as good as other baselayers I have, but significantly more expensive, so I wouldnt buy again. Whats the point of having a fresh smelling t-shirt if me, and all my other kit stinks? No point at all.. :lol:
My favourite baselayer t-shirt is a Calvin Klein activewear one - TKMaxx - £8 8)
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby RockyRab » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:33 am

One thing to keep in mind is that a fast spin cycle in the wash is not good for merino wool stuff, I've forgotten to set it lower before and ended up with a horribly stretched t-shirt that had to go in the bin as it was no use to anyone. Not something you want to do when they are £30 a pop!
RockyRab
Munro compleatist

Postby EileanB » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks for all the replies, and as I have just had an email about a sale at Cotswold, I will go shopping!
EileanB
Walker

Postby BobMcBob » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:18 pm

I think I'm in a very small minority but I really dislike merino in all but the coldest weather. I work outdoors in all weathers so I've had much opportunity to try it out. I now won't wear it unless the temperature is icy cold and I know I'm not going to be exerting myself heavily.
From what I can figure out I'm someone who gets very hot when exercising, and merino seems to have a limit on the amount of - I don't really know what the term is - heat-breathability? The sales line of 'keeps you warm when it's cold and cool when it's hot' is not true in my case. If it's at all warm I just get hotter and hotter until I'm completely exhausted and saturated. I prefer to wear multiple layers of synthetics and just add and remove them as necessary.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk