walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Maps

Maps

Postby millerrca » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi.. I am a novice hiker and I plan on visiting the highlands for a month of walking and hiking in April/May.. I'm currently in the process of picking a bunch of short hikes and climbs along with at least one extended walk.. I'm in pretty good shape and not afraid of climbing or wild camping.

My question is.. what is the best place for maps? I don't mind buying them online now, but if I'm going to be going on 10 to 15 different walks, it could get rather expensive buying a map for each one of them..

Any advice or insight would be appreciated.

Rick from Canada
millerrca
Scrambler

Re: Maps

Postby Kevin29035 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:27 pm

Best bet are Ordanance Survey 1:50 000 which you can get on the net. Of course depends how far and wide you are walking, though one map can do a large area and perhaps for a couple weeks you may only need a few maps at most? Unless you're walking the length of Scotland I find maps are an small cost in the whole scheme of things.

If you're walking in a popular area (Glen Coe, Torridon, Skye etc), Harvey's have maps that are very nicely put together with a lot of local info included. It's worth searching them out too.

Best wishes
Kevin29035

Munros:173   Corbetts:173
Fionas:74   Donalds:17
Sub 2000:92   Hewitts:8

Re: Maps

Postby tony-c » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:25 pm

http://dash4it.co.uk/ordnance-survey-ma ... ySales2014
Enter 'sale10' at checkout. Hope this helps. Good luck.
tony-c
Mountain Walker

Munros:230   Corbetts:25
Fionas:6   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:129
Wainwrights:214   Islands:8

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion