walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GPS questions

GPS questions

Postby doggy » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:17 pm

Hi everyone.

I am thinking about buying a Garmin etrex 10 but I have a question first.
I only want it so I can upload a Munro route so I can walk up the snow covered path.
So do I need to make my own route or can I upload these GPX things I find on the net?

Thanks.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: GPS questions

Postby Glencoe Keith » Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:54 pm

Evening

I think you will be able to download GPX routes from the net (especially this site) onto the Etrex 10. If you don't already know how to navigate using map/compass I'd suggest learning some of those skills too. Two of our guests have fallen through cornices recently following their GPS. One was lucky and got away with no injuries, the other had two broken arms, a face like a bruised and bloody football and frostbite. Better safe than sorry.

Keith
Glencoe Keith
Munro compleatist

Postby doggy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:47 am

Thanks for the reply. I will be careful, I won't be attempting anything too much, maybe just Ben Lomond on a nice day. I will also be using it for geocaching if I can get my kids up for it. My main concern was uploading the routes in case they're covered in snow and I can't see them.
doggy

Munros:96   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby spiderwebb » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:39 pm

I can confirm you can upload the gpx routes to an Etrex 10. You will need Easy GPS software, although I believe you can copy and paste the file directly into the GPS via your PC, can't recall which folder on the GPS offhand.
Or you can create your own on the WH GPS planner.

Hope that helps.
If you get stuck give me a shout :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk