walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler - March 20, 2010

The Cobbler - March 20, 2010

Postby deanalee » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:16 pm

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 20/03/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 11 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

All throughout the week, I was checking the weather reports for Ben Arthur - The Cobbler - in anticipation for Saturday’s walk. It said rain, but I was determined to brave it anyway. My partner and I had attempted the same walk the week before, but we were deterred halfway up when the path became covered in snow. We're newbies, and definitely weren’t prepared with the right equipment or clothing.

My competitive side could not bear being defeated, so this time we were totally prepared.

Then Saturday morning arrived, in all its sunny, cloudless glory! It was a perfect day. We started out, feeling confident since we were already familiar with the first half of the trail.

We trotted up the zig-zag path and through the forest. The week before, the area past the tree line seemed like the most inhospitable place on earth. This week it was downright lovely!

And we spotted a sheep. I was excited by this.

We carried on through the valley. It was such a gorgeous day that it easy to ignore the painful blisters I was developing from too-new shoes.

Then we started up the stone steps. It felt like we were really making progress!

Until we met a pair who said we were an hour yet from the summit. Nevertheless, we continued the haul to the top of the stairs and around the ridge.

As an inexperienced hiker, I can admit to being a little shaken by the scramble at the top. We definitely chose the most indirect/inefficient/scary way- which we learned when another group breezed past us about 30M to our right.

Then the summit. My gosh.

It made me a little queasy to see a brave couple seated atop the needle. I don’t have the head for those heights yet. I did sit in the needle ‘hole’ though.

Here is the panorama that we made.

What other similarly-sized hills do you recommend that we try next? I wouldn’t mind traveling further north. I’m from the states, so any excuse to do some driving through Scotland is welcome.

Deana
deanalee
Mountaineer

Re: The Cobbler - March 20, 2010

Postby Paul Webster » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:51 pm

Wow - where did the snows go :shock: 'Suppose that's what the rain does.

Great first report, love the panorama. And interesting to hear that someone is excited by seeing a sheep :lol:
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Milesy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:22 pm

No way! Where is the snow?? I was planning on going up the gullies as well. They had loads of snow just a week and a half ago!
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Alastair S » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:56 am

Milesy wrote:No way! Where is the snow??

Still some snow in the Cairngorms on the tops but its rapidly thinning.

Paul Webster wrote:Great first report, love the panorama. And interesting to hear that someone is excited by seeing a sheep :lol:

Ditto to that. deanalee could you be so good as to post the link to the full size panorama all the better to admire it :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby deanalee » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:11 am

Hi!

Here is a link to a larger version of the photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deanalee/4455484666/sizes/l/in/photostream/

It would have been really spectacular if I could've built up the courage to take it from the top of the needle!

-D
deanalee
Mountaineer

Postby Alastair S » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:54 am

Thanks for that - I do like a good panorama :D
Alastair S
Hill Bagger

Munros:78   Corbetts:13
Fionas:6   
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:22

Postby bobzilla » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:12 pm

Haha I'd came on here trying to find out the snow situation up there last night about 30 mins before you posted this!

I'm due up there on Saturday and was sure it was still covered. Good to see it isn't though :)
bobzilla
Hill Bagger

Munros:2   Corbetts:1

Postby Milesy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:33 pm

Good to see it isnt?? :o

This is the ONLY way the Cobbler should be tackled! Right up to the south peak in winter 8)

66240.jpg
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby bobzilla » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:42 pm

Apart from a trip up a few hills over the last few years I haven't done any serious walking in about 20 years and the only time I've had serious snow was Ben Nevis in November 2002ish :p

It looks pretty but I'll leave actually climbing in it until I've got a bit more recent experience ;)
bobzilla
Hill Bagger

Munros:2   Corbetts:1

Postby warbietoo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:54 pm

Hi
Love all the pictures especially the panorama. I used to get excited by seeing a sheep but i'm over that now as i have moved down south from Aberdeenshire. :lol:

I would try Ben Ledi. A nice wee walk with good views if the weather is kind.
http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/lochlomond/ben-ledi.shtml
warbietoo
Munro compleatist

Munros:49   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Milesy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:09 pm

Ben Venue and Ben Lomond should be next on your list as well :)
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby deanalee » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:33 pm

Thank you for the hill suggestions. I'm really looking forward to setting out again on Saturday morning! I think I'm headed to Ben Lomond.

-D
Last edited by deanalee on Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deanalee
Mountaineer

Postby bazer100 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:45 pm

looked great, nice pictures is great up that way and like many others suprised how quickly the snow has cleared , alough temps have raisen a bit in the last week or so, might be on the cards this weekend for me, or ben dorain.. will decide on friday!

baz
bazer100
Munro compleatist

Postby RadMan » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:53 pm

Great report, im so shocked with the lack of snow, been waiting for it to clear but didnt think it would be so quick, this is definately on my to do list! :D
I might also have an attempt at threading the needle :lol:
RadMan
Munro compleatist

Munros:153   

Postby kevsbald » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:24 pm

If you like sheep, go to Abaadeen. Up there they define a leisure centre by 5 sheep tied to a post. 8)
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland