walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bennachie

Bennachie

Postby rob munbett » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Bennachie (Oxen Craig)

Date walked: 25/02/2014

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We were staying up in the Whitehills area for a week so this gave me the chance to have a walk up a few hills in an area that was new to me. So, early one cold windy day, I set off for the Back o' Bennachie car park (pay & display) and headed off on a great track south through the woods. It was still and quiet and the only sounds were my breathing and my heart thudding - well, it had been quite a while after a torn calf muscle! Out of the woods and into a strong wind from the S.E. I followed the track (and many signposts!) up to the summit of Oxen Craig and hoped for a quick cuppa but the wind was too strong to even stand and the shelter cairn merely acted as a wind tunnel so it was quickly off the top after a rather shaky photo.
P1020101.JPG
Oxen Craig
I could see Mither Tap in the distance and an excellent path led over to it so, despite the gale, I enjoyed an easy saunter over.
P1020103.JPG
A distant Mither Tap
Mither Tap isn't the highest point but it's certainly the most interesting and dramatic.
P1020114_edited-1.jpg
Mither Tap across the moor
P1020107_edited-1.jpg
Mither Tap
This top also gave the best views back over to Oxen Craig.
P1020112.JPG
Looking back over to Oxen Craig from Mither Tap
Then it was just a case of taking another excellent path over another subsidiary top back to the path down through the woods. I must say that the pathwork and signposting on this hill is the best (or the worst, depending on your point of view) that I have ever seen, making it ideal for beginners or families to get into the hills. Still didn't manage to get my cup of tea till I was back at the car, though.
rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland